Need a formula to calculate BTU loss in a pond.

In summary: In fact, a pond exposed to a 20mph breeze will lose heat at about the same rate as a pond exposed to a calm wind. This is why it is important to design your pond to be as wind-protected as possible.
Marshel
I am looking at building an ortemental pond. The pond will be 15' x 3' with an average depth of 2'. I caculated it out to 673 gallons and 45 square feet of surface area. I plan to put tropical fish in it and will have to maintain a temperature of 72F year round.
Worst case scenario would be an ambient temp of 0F.
Based on the gallons, surface area and ambient temperature, is there a formula to calculate BTU loss and wattage of heaters to maintain the 72 degree temp?

The initial thought is to use a heater simalar to the ones we use at work to heat our outside hydraulic units. Maybe use a home hot water heater, but I don't believe that will work.

I plan to control pond circulation and temp with a PLC and have that end handled.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your number will be about 40 watts per meter-squared per degree C, or about 180 watts per deg C for your pond, or about 7200 watts when outside temp is zero F. For better info, download this free Heat Transfer Textbook available at (11 MB file)
http://web.mit.edu/lienhard/www/ahtt.html
and look at page 21. If you have a circulator pump, you could heat the water as it flows through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having done some research on heating both pools and ponds, I've found some interesting and surprising facts.

Something that may play an important role in your calculations is this:

Heat loss from a body of water is only in small part due to temperature difference. By far the largest component (I think it's about 90%) of heat loss is due to evaporation. This is why, even a thin coating over a body of water such as a swimming pool - sometihn thick enough to prevent evaporation, but not thick enough to stop direct heat transfer - is sufficient to keep the water temperature up overnight.

I grant that it is counter-productive to put any kind of film over a pond with live creatures in it. However...

A very large factor in evaporation is wind. A body of water protected from the breeze will lose heat much slower than a body of water that is exposed to even a 5mph breeze.

Related to Need a formula to calculate BTU loss in a pond.

1. How do I calculate the BTU loss in my pond?

To calculate the BTU loss in a pond, you will need to know the surface area of the pond in square feet, the water temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, and the air temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. Then, you can use the formula: BTU loss = surface area x (water temperature - air temperature) x 1.0. This will give you the estimated BTU loss per hour.

2. Why is it important to calculate BTU loss in a pond?

Calculating BTU loss in a pond is important because it can help you determine the appropriate size and type of heater needed to maintain a desired water temperature. It can also help you identify any potential issues with heat loss and make adjustments to improve energy efficiency.

3. Can I use the same formula for all types of ponds?

While the basic formula for calculating BTU loss in a pond can be applied to most types of ponds, it may not be accurate for all situations. Factors such as depth, shape, and surrounding environment may affect the actual BTU loss. It is recommended to consult with an expert for more precise calculations.

4. How often should I recalculate BTU loss in my pond?

The BTU loss in a pond can change with fluctuations in air and water temperature, as well as changes in the pond's environment. It is recommended to recalculate BTU loss at least once a year or whenever there are significant changes in the pond's conditions.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect BTU loss in a pond?

Apart from temperature and surface area, other factors such as wind speed, humidity, and insulation can also impact BTU loss in a pond. It is important to consider these factors when calculating BTU loss for a more accurate result.