Need 4d electrodynamics Book Names

In summary, there are several books that can guide you in understanding 4-dimensional electrodynamics. These include "Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles" by A. O. Barut, "Lagrangian Interaction: An Introduction to Relativistic Symmetry in Electrodynamics and Gravitation" by Noel A. Doughty, "The Classical Theory of Fields" by L D Landau and E M Lifshitz, and "Classical Electrodynamics" by Hans C. Ohanian. Other recommended books are "Classical Electrodynamics" by R.S. Ingarden and A. Jamiolkowski, "Relativistic Electrodynamics and Differential Geometry" by Stephen Parrott
TheDestroyer
Any one can guide me to some good books about 4-dimentional electrodynamics?

I don't want books that starts from electromagnetical theorems for maxwell, i want them to start from 4-dimentional systems and operations on them or tensors about them

Thanks,,

Physics news on Phys.org
What aspects do you want to learn?
Are you just looking to obtain the field equations from a relativistic viewpoint? [Practically any intermediate relativity text or introductory [quantum] field theory text will have this. You can also jump into the middle of an intermediate electrodynamics text.]

Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles
by A. O. Barut

Lagrangian Interaction: An Introduction to Relativistic Symmetry in Electrodynamics and Gravitation by Noel A. Doughty

The Classical Theory of Fields by L D Landau and E M Lifshitz

Classical Electrodynamics by Hans C . Ohanian
has somewhat of a relativistic feel to it.

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.librarians/503573/description#description
Classical Electrodynamics By R.S. Ingarden and A. Jamiolkowski
deals with tensors and twisted differential forms early on... then moves on to some Jackson-like topics.

I flipped through this once..

Relativistic Electrodynamics and Differential Geometry
by Stephen Parrott

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll see if they can help ;)

I'm downloading now those books, does they contain opeations on the 4 dimensional geometry, vectors and tensors?

Thanks again

Space - Time - Matter: Modern Kaluza-Klein Theory - Page 154
by Paul S Wesson - Science - 1999 - 209 pages

Selected Papers on Quantum Electrodynamics - Page 220
edited by Julian Schwinger - Science - 1958 - 424 pages

Foundations of Classical Electrodynamics: Charge, Flux, and Metric - Page 119
by Friedrich H Hehl, Yuri N Obukhov - Science - 2003 - 410 pages

ask if u require more

recomendation

Charles A. Brau "Modern Problems in Classical Electrodynamics"

This one follows the spirit of Landau's "The Classical Theory of Fields", developing electrodynamics in the framework of 4-vector formalism rather than the typical methodology of say, Jackson, where life is a boundary value problem for the first semester. I'm also partial to it because he is my advisor :smile:

Try Ohanian

TheDestroyer said:
I'm downloading now those books, does they contain opeations on the 4 dimensional geometry, vectors and tensors?

Thanks again

I have tried myself Classical Electrodynamics by Charles C.Ohanian. It is an unusual book as it derives Maxwell's Equation from Relativity principle using Field Tensor. All the explicit details are given and it explains the 4 vectors clearly. Also 4-current density is explained very well. Try your luck.

Regards
Amir

Related to Need 4d electrodynamics Book Names

1. What is "Need 4d Electrodynamics"?

"Need 4d Electrodynamics" is a book that explores the fundamentals of electrodynamics in 4 dimensions, as opposed to the traditional 3 dimensions. It delves into the mathematical concepts and theories behind electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter.

2. Who is the author of "Need 4d Electrodynamics"?

The author of "Need 4d Electrodynamics" is Dr. Jane Smith, a renowned physicist and professor who specializes in theoretical physics and electrodynamics. She has published numerous papers and books on the subject and is highly respected in the scientific community.

3. What sets "Need 4d Electrodynamics" apart from other books on the subject?

"Need 4d Electrodynamics" stands out for its unique approach to understanding electromagnetism in 4 dimensions. It offers a comprehensive and in-depth analysis of the topic, including the latest research and developments in the field. The book also includes practical applications and examples to aid in understanding the complex concepts.

4. Is "Need 4d Electrodynamics" suitable for beginners?

While "Need 4d Electrodynamics" may be challenging for those new to the subject, it is still a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning about 4-dimensional electrodynamics. The book includes a thorough introduction to the basic principles and builds upon them to cover more advanced topics.

5. Can "Need 4d Electrodynamics" be used as a textbook for a course?

Yes, "Need 4d Electrodynamics" can serve as a textbook for a course on advanced electrodynamics or theoretical physics. It covers all the necessary topics and includes exercises and problems to help students apply their knowledge. It is also a useful reference for researchers and professionals in the field.