Nearly accepted onto Fulbright S&T, what's my next step?

• Thread starter CaptainDK
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a physics student from Imperial College London who applied for the Fulbright Science & Technology award but did not pass the screening committee in Washington. They are considering either applying for a PhD in America without the award or taking a masters course in Brazil and reapplying for the Fulbright award next year. They are seeking advice on which option would be more beneficial for their future goals.
CaptainDK
Hey Guys,

I am a physics student from Imperial College London, graduating with a first class MSci. I want to go to America to do a PhD, and had applied to the Fulbright commission for their Science and Technology award. I was put through as one of the UK's nominees but found out recently that I didn't pass the screening committee in Washington (though I'm not 100% what that means, other than being out of the race). In the email I got from the UK commission telling me of this, they suggest the reason for this is that I was lacking experience:

" We do hope that you will consider reapplying next year, as we feel that with another year’s experience you would come back as a significantly stronger candidate. We will be seeking additional feedback from the screening committee in Washington, but it may be some time before that comes through.

Please do let me know if you have any questions or would like to discuss this. Again, I sincerely hope you will consider coming back to us next spring…"

So I see myself with 2 options: Apply to America for a PhD starting next year and say to hell with Fulbright, or find a masters degree for this year and apply to Fulbright next year?

I have found 2 masters courses in Brazil (at UFMG and UFRGS) that are reasonably suited to my research interests, have the highest rating for a Brazilian university, can be finished within a year and begin in March, which would mean by the time of the next Fulbright round I should be fairly well advanced in my completion of the course (I have conversational brazilian portuguese so language shouldn't be an issue).

I'll try and summarize what I'm asking cause this has become far too long:
- Is it worth taking a masters course and trying for the Fulbright Science & Technology award next year?
- If I do not get the award, but did take the masters course would the extra time mean I also lose out in terms of applying to American PhDs? Would, for example, the masters course mean I can shave a year off the PhD?
- How risky is it to take a masters course in Brazil in terms of then getting a Fulbright and if I were to apply directly to the American university for a PhD? Would I fare better going to a better-known, more internationally prestigious university(unless the brazilian universities I'm interested in are already that), or am I being an elitist tw0t for thinking that way?

Please help me, any opinion would be useful as I'm really stressing myself out about this, and applications and entrance exams will all soon be due.. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>The first thing I'd suggest is that you reach out to the Fulbright commission and ask for additional feedback about why you didn't pass the screening committee. This can help you determine what kind of experience you need in order to be a stronger candidate for the award next year. In terms of the two options you've outlined, it really depends on what your goals are. If you're looking to get a PhD from an American university, then taking a masters course in Brazil may not be the best option as the experience may not be directly relevant. Additionally, the extra time spent on the masters course could mean that you would have to wait another year before applying to a PhD program, which might set you back. On the other hand, if you're interested in gaining experience that will make you a more competitive applicant for the Fulbright Science & Technology award next year, then a masters course in Brazil may be a good option. Brazilian universities are internationally renowned, so you wouldn't necessarily be "losing out" by attending one. Additionally, having a masters degree may make you a better candidate for the Fulbright award, and the extra time could also give you an opportunity to gain research experience or do internships that will enhance your application. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which option is best for you and your goals. I recommend getting in touch with the Fulbright commission to find out more about their expectations for applicants and then making your decision based on that information. Good luck!

Related to Nearly accepted onto Fulbright S&T, what's my next step?

1. What is the Fulbright Science and Technology (S&T) Program?

The Fulbright S&T Program is a highly competitive scholarship program funded by the U.S. Department of State that provides opportunities for graduate students and young professionals to conduct research and study in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields at top universities around the world.

2. What does it mean to be "nearly accepted" onto the Fulbright S&T Program?

"Nearly accepted" means that you have been selected as a semi-finalist for the Fulbright S&T Program, and your application has been reviewed and deemed competitive by the Fulbright selection committee. However, you have not yet been officially accepted into the program and will need to take additional steps to secure your spot.

3. What are the next steps after being "nearly accepted" onto the Fulbright S&T Program?

After being "nearly accepted," you will need to complete additional requirements such as submitting official transcripts and proof of language proficiency, securing a letter of affiliation from your host institution, and obtaining medical clearance. You will also need to attend a pre-departure orientation and complete any other necessary paperwork before departing for your Fulbright experience.

4. Is there any financial support provided for Fulbright S&T Program participants?

Yes, the Fulbright S&T Program provides participants with round-trip airfare to their host country, a monthly stipend for living expenses, and funding for health insurance. It may also cover tuition and other fees associated with the program.

5. What are some tips for making the most of my Fulbright S&T experience?

Some tips for maximizing your Fulbright S&T experience include immersing yourself in the local culture, building relationships with your host institution and colleagues, staying organized and on top of program requirements, and taking advantage of any professional development or networking opportunities offered by the program. It is also important to maintain open communication with your Fulbright advisor and be proactive in addressing any challenges that may arise during your time abroad.