NE B.S. vs. NE and CHEM E joint major

In summary, the conversation discussed the options of pursuing a joint major in chemical and nuclear engineering or solely focusing on a nuclear engineering major. The joint major would offer a wider range of job opportunities and complement the NE courses well, while the NE major may provide more specialized courses and opportunities for research and internships in the nuclear industry. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the individual's interests and career goals.
ne1
Hi,

I’m a transfer student to UC Berkeley (fall 12), coming from a community college. I am transferring as a nuclear engineering major, but I can choose to do a joint major program in chemical and nuclear engineering (core courses are taken from both majors). The reason I’m considering the joint major is that many people tell me that jobs/opportunities are rare for nuclear engineers, and having a background in chem E would open more opportunities for me.

The NE major and joint major both have these courses: 1. Nuclear Reactions and Radiation. 2. Radiation Detection and Nuclear Instrumentation Lab. 3. Nuclear Reactor Theory. 4. Nuclear Design. 5. Nuclear Power Engineering. 6. Radioactive waste management.

The Joint major would put these Chem E courses: 1. Chemical Kinetics and Reaction Engineering. 2. Transport (mass) and Separation Processes. 3. Dynamics and Control of Chem processes. 4. Chemical E Lab. 5. Physical Chem.

In place of theses NE courses: 1. Nuclear Materials. 2. Intro to Numerical simulations in Radiation Transport. 3. Intro to imaging. 4. Intro to controlled fusion. 5. Analytical Methods for non-Proliferation. 6. Nuclear Reactor Safety.

What do you think? What would be the advantages/opportunities of choosing either option?
Thanks a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd recommend taking Nuclear Materials. and if one wants to do core design or other analytical work, then I'd recommend Intro to Numerical simulations in Radiation Transport. Irradiation effects on materials are an important area of research, particularly with respect to lengthening service time in-core and within the primary system.

As a fellow transfer student, I can understand how daunting it can be to make a decision like this. It sounds like you have done your research and are considering all your options carefully, which is great.

In terms of the joint major, I think it's a smart move to consider expanding your skill set and opening up more opportunities for yourself. It's true that nuclear engineering may have limited job prospects, so having a background in chemical engineering could definitely give you an edge in the job market. Plus, the courses you listed for the joint major sound like they would complement your NE courses well and provide a well-rounded education in both fields.

However, if you have a strong passion for nuclear engineering and see yourself pursuing a career specifically in that field, then sticking with the NE major may be the better choice. It's important to follow your interests and strengths, as that will ultimately lead you to a fulfilling career.

Another advantage of the joint major is that it may give you a wider range of job opportunities and the ability to work in different industries. Chemical engineering is a broad field with applications in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and environmental engineering. This could provide more options for you in terms of job prospects and potential career paths.

On the other hand, the NE major may offer more specialized courses that could make you stand out in the job market for nuclear engineering positions. It also may provide more opportunities for research and internships in the nuclear industry.

Overall, I think both options have their advantages and it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. I would recommend talking to advisors and professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of the job market and potential career paths for each option. Good luck with your decision!

What is the difference between a NE B.S. and a NE and CHEM E joint major?

A NE B.S. (Bachelor of Science) degree focuses primarily on the study of nuclear engineering, while a NE and CHEM E joint major combines elements of both nuclear engineering and chemical engineering.

What courses are typically included in a NE and CHEM E joint major?

A NE and CHEM E joint major typically includes courses in nuclear reactor theory, nuclear materials, chemical kinetics, and thermodynamics.

What career opportunities are available with a NE and CHEM E joint major?

Graduates with a NE and CHEM E joint major may pursue careers in fields such as nuclear energy, nuclear waste management, chemical processing, and environmental remediation.

Is a NE and CHEM E joint major a more valuable degree than a NE B.S.?

Both degrees have value and can lead to successful careers in the field of nuclear engineering. A NE and CHEM E joint major may provide a broader skillset and may be more beneficial for certain career paths.

What are the benefits of pursuing a NE and CHEM E joint major?

A NE and CHEM E joint major allows students to gain a comprehensive understanding of both nuclear engineering and chemical engineering, which can be valuable in industries that combine these two fields, such as nuclear power generation and nuclear waste management.