Navier Stokes: Homework Q&A on Solution & Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption of "fully developed flow" in a textbook example and its relation to the pressure gradient. While the assumption implies that no properties vary in the x direction, it does not necessarily mean that the pressure gradient is zero. The assumption simplifies the problem but may not always hold true in all cases. It is important to carefully consider and verify assumptions in specific cases.
driven4rhythm

Homework Statement

Solution and question are here: http://i51.tinypic.com/bg63qb.png

Homework Equations

Equations listed in image.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made several assumptions and there's one that I made that isn't correct but I don't understand why. My textbook lists an assumption for an example as "fully developed flow, so no properties vary in the x direction; δ/δx=0" So I would assume that -δP/δx=0 but it doesn't. Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to address your question regarding the assumption made in the textbook example. While it is true that fully developed flow implies that no properties vary in the x direction, this does not necessarily mean that the pressure gradient (-δP/δx) is equal to zero. The assumption in this case is that the velocity profile is fully developed, which means that the velocity distribution along the x direction does not change. However, the pressure gradient is still present and can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equation. This assumption simplifies the problem and allows for easier calculations, but it is not always true in all cases. In some situations, the pressure gradient may also be affected by other factors such as changes in fluid properties or external forces. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions made in a problem and verify their validity in each specific case. I hope this helps clarify your question.

Related to Navier Stokes: Homework Q&A on Solution & Equations

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of fluids, such as air and water. It takes into account factors such as pressure, viscosity, and velocity to predict the behavior of fluids in a given system.

2. What are the applications of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation has a wide range of applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing aircraft and cars, studying ocean currents, and understanding blood flow in the human body. It is an essential tool in fluid mechanics and is used in various fields of engineering and science.

3. What is the difference between the Navier-Stokes equation and the Euler equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is an extension of the Euler equation, which is a simplified version that does not take into account viscosity. The Navier-Stokes equation includes the effects of viscosity, which is the resistance of a fluid to flow. This makes it more accurate for real-world applications, but also more complex to solve.

4. What are some challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of highly nonlinear partial differential equations, making it difficult to solve analytically. The equations also have multiple unknown variables and can exhibit chaotic behavior, making it challenging to predict solutions accurately. As a result, numerical methods and simulations are often used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some current research topics related to the Navier-Stokes equation?

Some current research topics related to the Navier-Stokes equation include improving numerical methods for solving the equations, developing turbulence models to better understand chaotic flow patterns, and studying the effects of non-Newtonian fluids on the equations. There is also ongoing research into the mathematical foundations of the Navier-Stokes equation and attempts to find analytical solutions for specific cases.