Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept

• Thread starter Atheismo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the conversation was about the importance of time management and setting priorities. The speakers discussed how to prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance, as well as the benefits of using a planner or to-do list. They also mentioned the importance of taking breaks and delegating tasks when necessary. Overall, the conversation emphasized the value of efficient time management in achieving goals and reducing stress.
Atheismo
www.naturalism.org/death.htm[/URL]

Read the former link and tell me what you think. The author, Thomas W. Clark, concludes that when one dies, experience does not cease for that subject but continues in "other subjects which come into being". It is essentially a naturalistic version of reincarnation. He uses a thought experiment which seems to point to this conclusion.

Post your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Atheismo said:
experience does not cease for that subject but continues in "other subjects which come into being"

Nonsense.

Does running or swimming or basketball 'not cease, but continues in other people'?

Consciousness is a process, not a thing.

JoeDawg said:
Nonsense.

Does running or swimming or basketball 'not cease, but continues in other people'?

Consciousness is a process, not a thing.

If you read Thomas Clark's other papers (such as Function and Phenomenology Closing the Explanatory Gap) you will see that he holds the standard materialist's view of consciousness. Read the paper and the replies to the paper and then form your opinion.

Read the following if you want more:

www.mbdefault.org (chapter 9 in particular)

This monograph is written by a different philosopher yet raises the same conclusion. The author, Wayne Stewart, takes Baar's and Taylor's Global Workspace model of subjectivity to draw this very novel conclusion.

Atheismo said:
Read the following if you want more:
If all you want, is to generate web traffic, I'd work on your sales pitch.

Atheismo said:
www.naturalism.org/death.htm[/URL]

Read the former link and tell me what you think. The author, Thomas W. Clark, concludes that when one dies, experience does not cease for that subject but continues in "other subjects which come into being". It is essentially a naturalistic version of reincarnation. He uses a thought experiment which seems to point to this conclusion.

Post your thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... interesting, I think atheist author Sam Harris has mentioned this idea before, Harris is generally antitheistic but supports some Buddhist ideas like reincarnation, which somehow puts tension between him and his peers Dawkins, Dennett,etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeDawg said:
If all you want, is to generate web traffic, I'd work on your sales pitch.

If you have a problem with any part of the paper then copy it and we can discuss it. I actually think the idea is deserving of sober thought. I will copy some excerpts which we can discuss if you do not wish to.

celebrei said:
Hmmm... interesting, I think atheist author Sam Harris has mentioned this idea before, Harris is generally antitheistic but supports some Buddhist ideas like reincarnation, which somehow puts tension between him and his peers Dawkins, Dennett,etc.

Where did you hear Harris mention the idea? Could you point me in the right direction, links, books maybe?

Also, just to clarify, this idea has no ties with Buddhism except for the fact that it involves transmigration (albeit without any "soul" thing, in fact it posits no transference of anything between subjects). It is a naturalistic transmigration philosophy derived from a naturalistic analysis of personal identity criteria at temporal limits.

Whilst we're on the subject of Dan Dennet, Tom Clark (the author of the DNS paper I linked above) actually studied under the guidance of Dan when he studied philosophy at college.

Last edited:
One thing that hit me most about consciousness remaining afterlife is this
People who suffered accidents that caused them to loose their legs report that sometimes they feel like they have the whole leg. They even report that sometimes their non-existing toes etch. Extending the idea to whole body, It can be postulated that even when you loose your whole body, you will feel like you have a body.

thecritic said:
It can be postulated that even when you loose your whole body, you will feel like you have a body.

If you lose your whole body, there is nothing left of you, to feel anything.

This link has been posted before and it's not acceptable. Thread closed.

Related to Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept

1. What is the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept?

The Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept is the idea that after death, one's consciousness or soul is not reincarnated into a new body or form, but instead is recycled back into the natural world as energy or matter.

2. How does this concept differ from traditional reincarnation beliefs?

Traditional reincarnation beliefs involve the idea of a soul or consciousness being reborn into a new body or form, with the potential for retaining memories or traits from past lives. The Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept, on the other hand, does not involve a conscious entity being reborn, but rather a recycling of energy and matter in the natural world.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept. This concept is a philosophical and spiritual belief, rather than a scientifically proven phenomenon.

4. Are there any religious or cultural beliefs that align with the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept?

Some religions and cultures have beliefs that align with aspects of the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept, such as the concept of the cycle of life and death in Hinduism and Buddhism. However, these beliefs also involve the idea of a conscious entity being reborn, which differs from the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept.

5. Can one believe in both traditional reincarnation and the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept?

Yes, it is possible for one to believe in both traditional reincarnation and the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept. These beliefs do not necessarily contradict each other, as they involve different interpretations of the concept of reincarnation. However, it is important to note that the Naturalistic Reincarnation Concept is not a scientifically proven phenomenon, and individuals may choose to believe in one or both concepts based on their personal beliefs and perspectives.