Nathan Curtis' Question at Yahoo Answers regarding Differential Equations

In summary, we have a function $f(x)$ that is a solution to the differential equation $y^{\prime} - y^2 = x^2$, with the initial condition $f(1) = 2$. We use this information to find $f^{\prime}(1)$, $f^{\prime\prime}(1)$, and $f^{\prime\prime\prime}(1)$, which are equal to 5, 22, and 140 respectively. This information was provided by Nathan Curtis on a forum post, and a link was shared for the original question.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Nathan Curtis said:
Let I be an open interval containing 1 and f : I → R be a function such that f(1) = 2. Assume f is a solution of the differential equation y′ − y^2=x^2 . Find f'(1) f''(1) and f'''(1).

Here is a link to the question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130903134631AAuRmGn

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Nathan Curtis,

In this problem, we're assuming that $y=f(x)$ is a solution to the differential equation $y^{\prime}-y^2 = x^2$. Thus, in terms of $f(x)$, this means that
\[f^{\prime}(x) - (f(x))^2 = x^2 \implies f^{\prime}(x) = (f(x))^2 + x^2.\]
Since we know that $f(1)=2$, we now see that
\[f^{\prime}(1) = (f(1))^2 + (1)^2 = 2^2+1^2 = 5.\]
Differentiating the expression for $f^{\prime}(x)$ yields the equation
\[f^{\prime\prime}(x) = 2 f(x)\cdot f^{\prime}(x) + 2x\]
and thus
\[f^{\prime\prime}(1) = 2 f(1)\cdot f^{\prime}(1) + 2(1) = 2(2)(5) + 2 = 22.\]
Differentiating the expression for $f^{\prime\prime}(x)$ yields the equation
\[f^{\prime\prime\prime}(x) = 2 (f^{\prime}(x))^2 + 2 f(x)\cdot f^{\prime\prime}(x) + 2\]
and thus
\[f^{\prime\prime\prime}(1) = 2 (f^{\prime}(1))^2 + 2 f(1)\cdot f^{\prime\prime}(1) + 2 = 2(5)^2+2(2)(22) + 2 = 140\]

Therefore, if $f(1)=2$, then $f^{\prime}(1)=5$, $f^{\prime\prime}(1) = 22$ and $f^{\prime\prime\prime}(1) = 140$.

I hope this makes sense!

Thank you so much for the help and linking me to this website! I'm sure I will be using it a lot this semester because I can hardly understand my professor in diff eq. This helped a lot though and made me realize where I made my original mistake. Again thanks so much!

Related to Nathan Curtis' Question at Yahoo Answers regarding Differential Equations

1. What is the purpose of Nathan Curtis' question about differential equations at Yahoo Answers?

Nathan Curtis' question is seeking help in solving a specific problem or understanding a concept related to differential equations. By posting the question on Yahoo Answers, he is seeking input and guidance from other users who may have expertise in this subject.

2. Can you provide more context or background information about Nathan Curtis' question at Yahoo Answers regarding differential equations?

Unfortunately, without the actual question or more details about the problem, it is difficult to provide specific context or background information. However, it is likely that Nathan Curtis is a student or researcher studying differential equations and is looking for assistance with a specific issue or concept.

3. Is this question about differential equations relevant to a specific field of study or industry?

Differential equations are a fundamental concept in many fields of study, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. Therefore, Nathan Curtis' question could be relevant to any of these fields or industries.

4. Are there any resources or tools available to help answer Nathan Curtis' question about differential equations?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help answer questions about differential equations. These may include textbooks, online tutorials, mathematical software, and even forums or community websites like Yahoo Answers.

5. How can I contribute to answering Nathan Curtis' question about differential equations on Yahoo Answers?

If you have expertise in differential equations, you can contribute by providing a clear and accurate answer to Nathan Curtis' question. You can also offer helpful resources or tips that may assist him in solving the problem. Remember to always be respectful and constructive in your response.