Nasty summation + derivative help

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of simplifying the expression involving the summation of two functions, f(r) and g(r), with a common constant a. It is mentioned that the derivative of f(r) is incorrect and the correct form is 2(a-r)e^{-(a-r)^2}. It is then questioned whether the summation of f'(r) and f(r) can be simplified, but it is brought up that f'(r) can only exist if r is a continuous variable.
exmachina
Edit: LOTS OF TYPOS (sorry guys)

Let:

[tex] f(r) = e^{-(a-r)^2} [/tex]
[tex] g(r) = r e^{-(a-r)^2} [/tex]

Where a is some constant

Can:

[tex]
\dfrac{ \sum\limits^{r=\infty}_{r=-\infty} g(r) } {\sum\limits^{r=\infty}_{r=-\infty} f(r) }
[/tex]

Be simplified?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it obvious?

Yes, look at the differences between f(r) and f'(r)

exmachina said:
Let:

[tex] f(r) = e^{-(a-r)^2} [/tex]
[tex] f'(r) = 2e^{-(a-r)^2} [/tex]
This is incorrect. If [itex]f(r)= e^{-(a- r)^2}[/itex] then [itex]f'(r)= e^{-(a-r)^2}[-2(a- r)(-1)]= 2(a-r)e^{-(a-r)^2}[/itex].

Where a is some constant

Can:

[tex]
\dfrac{ \sum\limits^{r=\infty}_{r=-\infty} f'(r) } { \sum\limits^{r=\infty}_{r=-\infty} f(r) }
[/tex]

Be simplified?
In order that [itex]f'(r)[/itex] exist, r must be a continuous variable. If r is not discrete, what does "[itex]\sum_{r=-\infty}^{r=\infty}f(r)[/itex]" mean?

Sorry I was way too sloppy in my original post, I have since updated it, I had forgotten an r term.

Last edited:
double post sorry

Last edited:

Related to Nasty summation + derivative help

1. What is a nasty summation?

A nasty summation is a mathematical expression that involves adding a large number of terms, often with complex or non-linear relationships between them. It can be difficult to solve or simplify using traditional methods.

2. Why is the derivative important in solving nasty summations?

The derivative is important in solving nasty summations because it allows us to find the rate of change of the summation with respect to its variables. This can help us identify patterns and make simplifications to the expression.

3. How do I find the derivative of a nasty summation?

To find the derivative of a nasty summation, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the expression. It is important to carefully apply these rules and simplify as much as possible to avoid errors.

4. Can I use software or calculators to solve a nasty summation and its derivative?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators that can help you solve nasty summations and their derivatives. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving them manually before relying on technology.

5. What are some practical applications of nasty summations and their derivatives?

Nasty summations and their derivatives are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems. They can also be used in computer science and data analysis to optimize algorithms and make predictions based on large datasets.