Nanoparticle dragged off a layer and tunnelling to a STM tip, equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a scanning tunneling microscope (STM) tip to place a potential V across a monolayer with a single electron on it. It is mentioned that it takes a potential V1 to remove the electron from the atom on the layer, and a potential V2 to allow the electron to tunnel through the gap. The question asks for the values of V1 and V2, and the solutions are given as V1 = V (C1 / C1+ C2) - n (e / C1 + C2) and V2 = V (C2 / C1+ C2) + n (e / C1 + C2). However, when treating the problem as a
rwooduk
Here we have a STM tip placing a potential V across a monolayer with a single electron on it. | STM (scanning tunneling microscope) Tip |
| |
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////
(((((((((((( ELECTRON ))))))))))))))
------------------------ MONOLAYER ---------------------------it takes a potential V1 to get the electron away from the atom on the layer, it takes a potential V2 to get the electron to tunnel through the gap. So in effect we have 2 capacitors in series.

the question wants V1 and V2, i.e. the potential across each 'capacitor' and gives the solution

V1 = V (C1 / C1+ C2) - n (e / C1 + C2)

V2 = V (C2 / C1+ C2) + n (e / C1 + C2)Obviously the second term of each equation is related to the charge e and the number of charges n which effect the potential. However when i treat the problem as a circuit diagram i get:

V1 = V ( C1 / (C2 + C1))
V2 = V ( C2 / (C2 + C1))

Which is correct and would be correct if this were a normal circuit, however the solutions above each have that second term in.

My question is, how do i introduce that second term? i understand why its there, but can i say there will be an additional term which relates to the number of particles and add it to my V1 and V2 terms? But one is negative? Do I just say the sum of the additional terms must be zero so haphazardly include one with a positive term and one with a negative term?

Physics news on Phys.org
currently revising, still haven't been given the solutions back (even though I've asked for them) and it may come up in the exam :-///

it's really an electronics question with two capacitors in series, but i still can't derive the solutions given, any ideas please?

1. What is the equation for calculating the tunnelling current in a STM tip?

The equation for calculating the tunnelling current in a STM (scanning tunnelling microscopy) tip is given by I = C(V)*(V^2)e^(-2Kd), where I is the tunnelling current, C(V) is a voltage-dependent constant, V is the applied voltage, K is the tunneling probability and d is the distance between the sample and the tip.

2. How do nanoparticles get dragged off a layer and tunnel to a STM tip?

Nanoparticles can be dragged off a layer and tunnel to a STM tip through a process called electrophoresis. This involves applying an electric field to the sample, which causes the nanoparticles to move towards the STM tip due to their charge. Once they reach the tip, they can then tunnel through the vacuum barrier and contribute to the tunnelling current.

3. What is the role of the STM tip in the process of nanoparticle tunnelling?

The STM tip acts as a mediator between the nanoparticles and the sample surface. Its sharp and conductive nature allows it to create a small gap (on the order of nanometers) between itself and the sample, through which the nanoparticles can tunnel and contribute to the tunnelling current. The STM tip also serves as a means of controlling the position and movement of the nanoparticles on the surface.

4. Can the tunnelling current in a STM tip be manipulated by changing the distance between the tip and the sample surface?

Yes, the tunnelling current in a STM tip can be manipulated by changing the distance between the tip and the sample surface. As the distance decreases, the tunneling probability increases, resulting in a higher tunnelling current. This distance can be controlled precisely through piezoelectric materials, which are commonly used in STM systems.

5. What are the applications of studying nanoparticle tunnelling through a STM tip?

Studying nanoparticle tunnelling through a STM tip has several applications in the field of nanotechnology. It allows for precise manipulation and characterization of nanoparticles on a surface, which is crucial for the development of nanoscale electronic devices. It can also provide valuable insights into the physical and chemical properties of nanoparticles, which can aid in the design and synthesis of new materials with unique properties.