Name of the forces caused while driving a car

• Thread starter Equineguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Forces
In summary: Thanks for your contribution!In summary, the phenomenon is related to lack of control and a false sense of control. The driver has control while the passenger does not, and the speed limit is mostly arbitrarily set. Going with the traffic flow is usually more safe for all involved.
Equineguy
Is there a name or phenomenon of the feelings the passenger gets that the driver does not?
Example: A driver of a car feels that they are driving smooth and comfortable, yet the passenger feels like they have to hold on to the door handle and feels that the ride is rough.
If the two folks in the car reverse roles, the same holds true.

Is this a physics item, or more psychological?

I would imagine that a person will get used to the speeds and forces in time, causing them to feel "numb" to the forces, in medicine the is called "tolerance". Would that be called the same with forces that we become "numb" to? Or is there another name?

This may explain why we feel that going the speed limit for experienced drivers seems so dull and slow, causing us to speed up to what "feels" better for them.

This is for a project I am doing in attempt to explain why we feel the need to go faster than the speed limit and the risks that accompany it, while having a false sense of control. ( other than the thrill seekers looking for the rush )

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Equineguy said:
Is there a name or phenomenon of the feelings the passenger gets that the driver does not?
Example: A driver of a car feels that they are driving smooth and comfortable, yet the passenger feels like they have to hold on to the door handle and feels that the ride is rough.
If the two folks in the car reverse roles, the same holds true.

Is this a physics item, or more psychological?

I would imagine that a person will get used to the speeds and forces in time, causing them to feel "numb" to the forces, in medicine the is called "tolerance". Would that be called the same with forces that we become "numb" to? Or is there another name?

This may explain why we feel that going the speed limit for experienced drivers seems so dull and slow, causing us to speed up to what "feels" better for them.

This is for a project I am doing in attempt to explain why we feel the need to go faster than the speed limit and the risks that accompany it, while having a false sense of control. ( other than the thrill seekers looking for the rush )

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

It's probably a psychological issue related to control over your circumstances. I don't know the technical name for it, nor do I have peer-reviewed references on it. But I'm sure others here will be able to supply those.

The driver has a steering wheel to hold on to, the passenger doesn't. Depending on the area, many people tend to drive a bit over the speed limit, about 5 mph (8kph) or so. I live in a urban area in California and the morning commuters tend to drive the fastest on the freeway a bit less than 10 mph (16 kph) over the speed limit. It's basically the threshold for getting a ticket for speeding.

I think it is psychological and is about trust.
The passenger's safety and possibly their survival is completely in the hands of another person,
So the relationship between the driver and the passenger makes a big difference.

I don't know of a technical name for the phenomenon, but I do know the feelings stem from lack of control and not knowing what's coming next. The driver has control and knows in advance what inertial changes are coming up. Most passengers like smoothness and consistency.

A passenger can get annoyed at the driver for going to slow and letting everyone pass them, just as much as when the driver is going too much over the speed limit for the passengers comfort.

Maybe the term "back seat driver" syndrome encompasses the passenger feeling whether he/she is vocal or not.

Speed limits are mostly arbitrarily set anyways for a lot of roads anyways in a lot of circumstances.
Why is it 100 kph on a highway, and not 110 kph, or 90 kph? ( 65 mph, 70 or 55 mph )?
Going with the traffic flow, and that can involve speeding, can be more safe for all cars on the road, which is you, the cars ahead and the cars behind.

Related to Name of the forces caused while driving a car

1. What is the force that propels a car forward?

The force that propels a car forward is known as the driving force or the propulsive force. It is generated by the engine of the car, which converts chemical energy into mechanical energy.

2. What is the force that opposes the car's motion?

The force that opposes the car's motion is known as the resistive force or the drag force. It is caused by air resistance and friction between the tires and the road.

3. How does friction affect the motion of a car?

Friction between the tires and the road affects the motion of a car by providing grip and allowing the car to accelerate, decelerate, and turn. However, too much friction can also slow down the car and decrease its fuel efficiency.

4. What is the role of gravity in driving a car?

Gravity plays a crucial role in driving a car as it keeps the car's wheels in contact with the road. Without gravity, the car would lift off the ground and become uncontrollable.

5. How does the weight of a car affect its motion?

The weight of a car affects its motion by influencing its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. Heavier cars have more inertia and require more force to accelerate or decelerate compared to lighter cars.