N2 has the form 3k or 3k+1 for some integer k

In summary, any integer squared can be written in one of three forms: 3k, 3k+1, or 3k+2. However, after squaring each form, only the forms 3k and 3k+1 can be obtained, while the form 3k+2 cannot. This shows that n^2 has the form 3k or 3k+1 for some integer k.
annoymage

Homework Statement

n2 has the form 3k or 3k+1 for some integer k

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried to table it for me to see, but still i don't have the general idea, should i show n2 is either divisable by 3k or 3k+1? if yes i still don't know owho

Physics news on Phys.org

Any integer, divided by 3, has remainder 0, 1, or 2, thus any number can be written as "3k" (remainder 0), "3k+ 1" (remainder 1), or "3k+ 2" (remainder 2).

Now try squaring those:

[itex](3k)^2= 9k^2= 3(3k^2)[/itex], "3 times an integer" and so is of the first kind above.

[itex](3k+ 1)^2= 9k^2+ 6k+ 1= 3(3k^2+ 2k)+ 1[/itex], "3 times an integer plus 1" and so of the second kind above.

[itex](3k+ 2)^2= 9k^2+ 12k+ 4[/itex][itex]= 9k^2+ 12k+ 3+ 1= 3(3k^2+ 4k+ 1)+ 1[/itex] which is again of the form "3 times an integer plus 1".

Note that none of those three forms, 3k, 3k+1, and 3k+ 2 (and every integer can be written in one of those forms), have a square of the form 3n+ 2.

Related to N2 has the form 3k or 3k+1 for some integer k

1. What does it mean for N2 to have the form 3k or 3k+1 for some integer k?

Having the form 3k or 3k+1 means that when N2 is divided by 3, the remainder is either 0 or 1. This is because N2 is being expressed as a multiple of 3 (3k) or a multiple of 3 plus 1 (3k+1).

2. How is this related to the divisibility rule for 3?

The divisibility rule for 3 states that a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. This is related to N2 having the form 3k or 3k+1 because when a number is squared, the resulting digits are the same as the original number. Therefore, if the original number is divisible by 3, so is its square (N2).

3. Can N2 have any other forms besides 3k or 3k+1?

Yes, N2 can have other forms when divided by 3. For example, if the remainder is 2 when divided by 3, then N2 has the form 3k+2. However, this is not as commonly seen as 3k or 3k+1.

4. How is this property useful in mathematics?

This property is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebra. It can be used to prove certain theorems and to simplify expressions in equations. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between numbers.

5. Is there a specific name for this property of N2 having the form 3k or 3k+1?

Yes, this property is known as the "divisibility by 3" property. It is a special case of the more general "divisibility by a number" property, where a number is said to have a certain form when divided by another number.