Mystery Symbol: What Does a Big Inverted V Mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of a big inverted V symbol used in a paper on deontic logic. It is used as a universal or existential generalization and can also be used as a relation or in a "sigma"-notation. The specific meaning may vary depending on context.
EvLer
what does a big inverted V stand for? it's not "and" because it's used right in front of a literal (atomic formula) not sure if it's a quantifier... This is a paper discussing approach based on deontic logic that I am scanning through, but this sign i cannot figure out how to search online...
Does anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
what does a big inverted V stand for? it's not "and" because it's used right in front of a literal (atomic formula) not sure if it's a quantifier... This is a paper discussing approach based on deontic logic that I am scanning through, but this sign i cannot figure out how to search online...
Does anybody know?

It means "or." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_disjunction

I understand a 'V' followed by a variable followed by a symbolic formula as an existential generalization and an 'inverted V' followed by a variable followed by a symbolic formula as a universal generalization. These symbols have to do with quantification.

well, no it is not a disjunction, that is why I said I was asking, plus it is INVERTED ... sounds more like it is a relation, although i think in certain other cases it is used like a "sigma"-notation, i.e. from 1 to n "and" certain literals together to form a formula. I guess i should have posted an image of it for clarity.
thanks though...
EDIT:
ok, I will post the image

Related to Mystery Symbol: What Does a Big Inverted V Mean?

1. What is the significance of a big inverted V symbol?

The big inverted V symbol is commonly known as the "caret" or "chevron" symbol. It is often used in mathematics and computer science to represent exponentiation or logical XOR operations.

2. Does the big inverted V have a specific meaning in different cultures?

No, the big inverted V symbol does not have a specific meaning in different cultures. Its use is mainly limited to mathematics and computer science.

3. Can the big inverted V symbol be used in other contexts besides mathematics and computer science?

While the big inverted V symbol is most commonly used in mathematics and computer science, it can also have other meanings in different contexts. For example, in typography, it is often used as a proofreading mark to indicate that a space needs to be inserted.

4. What is the origin of the big inverted V symbol?

The big inverted V symbol has been used in mathematical notation since the 16th century. It is believed to have originated from the Greek letter delta (∆), which was used to represent the concept of difference or change.

5. Are there any other symbols that are similar to the big inverted V?

Yes, there are other symbols that are similar to the big inverted V, such as the upside-down letter "v" (ʌ) or the circumflex accent (ˆ). These symbols have different uses and meanings in various languages and fields of study.