Easy Question, What does this symbol mean?

This symbol has a long history dating back to the early days of vector notation and is still commonly used in fluid mechanics applications, such as in the compressible flow equations discussed in Munson's book.
BadWolf
What does the upside down hat mean in vector notation. I stumbled across this symbol in my fluid mechanics book compressible flow, Munson seems to like use lots of non standard notations to begin with but I figure this symbol is still commonly used somewhere. Hat usually implies a unit vector but upside down hat?

[tex]c_{v}=\frac{\partial\check{u}}{\partial T}[/tex]

I would guess that Munson uses the check as latex calls it to make sure you notice that he means internal energy rather than velocity as u often represents. I was curious what the history of this symbol is as this is the first time I've seen it used.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The upside down hat in vector notation is typically used to denote the gradient of a vector field. The check symbol, as you correctly pointed out, is commonly used to denote internal energy rather than velocity. The upside down hat is often used to signify that the gradient of the vector field is being taken in the direction of the vector rather than the magnitude of the vector.

Related to Easy Question, What does this symbol mean?

1. What is the symbol for?

The symbol may represent a concept, idea, or object. It often has a specific meaning or connotation associated with it.

2. Where is this symbol commonly used?

The symbol may be used in different contexts, such as in literature, art, mathematics, science, or religion. It may also be used in logos, advertisements, or as a form of communication.

3. Is there a universal meaning for this symbol?

No, the meaning of a symbol can vary depending on culture, time period, and context. Some symbols may have a universal meaning, while others may have different interpretations.

4. How do symbols help us communicate?

Symbols can convey complex ideas or concepts quickly and efficiently. They can also evoke emotions and convey cultural meanings that may be difficult to express through words.

5. Can symbols change in meaning over time?

Yes, symbols are not static and can evolve and change in meaning over time. This can be influenced by societal and cultural changes as well as personal interpretations.