Mystery Find: Can You Help Identify It?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, this device is used to lift a pipe post hole from the inside so that it can be lifted upright. It is a very novel find and appears to be a very long-lasting fabric mop.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A friend of mine got this from an estate sale today.
We're trying to figure out what it is.

top view:
2019-04-06_15-34-52-0700.jpg

Side view lying flat, moving parts sticking out further than central part:
2019-04-06_15-35-24-0700.jpg

Center pulled up, moving parts pulled in toward center:
2019-04-06_15-35-21-0700.jpg

I'm think if used upside down, it could be lowered into a piece of vertical pipe and then if it is lifted up from the middle, in the upside down orientation, the moveable parts would expand to grab the pipe from the inside, so it could be lifted up. ?

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe take a couple photos with a plain background, and then do a Google Images search on those photos?

Just a guess, but it looks like maybe some sort of boreing bit.

berkeman said:
Maybe take a couple photos with a plain background, and then do a Google Images search on those photos?
Tried that with no luck.
It thought it was a pile of wood.

First impression: Looks sort of like an industrial strength broccoli steamer.

diogenesNY

Likes strangerep and BillTre
Centre piece to hold circus tent top?

Device to lift pipe upright from inside?

BillTre said:
Any thoughts?
Yeah, I've used those things before... and both of you are very close to the functional

description. . . .:cool:I need to modify your quotes just a bit, though.
BillTre said:
I'm think if used upside down, it could be lowered into a piece of vertical pipe post hole and then if it is lifted up from the middle, in the upside down orientation, the moveable parts would expand to grab the pipe post hole from the inside, so it could be lifted up. ?
pedro the swift said:
Device to lift pipe post hole upright from inside?
Yes, what you have there is . . . a post hole puller !
A very novel find,

Carry on. . . .:ok:.:smile:

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and BillTre
The handle is missing.
Regular fabric mops used to wear out rather quickly when cleaning concrete.
This model lasts a very long time,
And gets the stains out.

Related to Mystery Find: Can You Help Identify It?

1. What is the Mystery Find?

The Mystery Find is an object or item that has been discovered but its identity or purpose is unknown.

2. How can I help identify the Mystery Find?

You can help identify the Mystery Find by examining its physical characteristics, conducting research, and consulting with other experts in related fields.

3. What kind of information should I gather when trying to identify the Mystery Find?

You should gather information such as size, shape, color, material, and any unique features or markings on the object. Additionally, any historical or cultural context surrounding the object can also be helpful.

4. Are there any resources or databases that can assist in identifying the Mystery Find?

Yes, there are many online resources and databases that specialize in identifying unknown objects or artifacts. You can also consult with museums, universities, or other scientific institutions for assistance.

5. What happens once the Mystery Find is identified?

Once the Mystery Find is identified, it can provide valuable insights into the history, culture, or scientific knowledge of a particular time or place. It may also be displayed in a museum or used for further research and analysis.