Mystery Apparatus: Can You Identify It?

• Thread starter Scott Kozak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, this apparatus looks like a receiver for a radio demonstration apparatus and is from the early 1900s.
Scott Kozak
Hello everyone,

This is my second year teaching Physics and I have come upon an interesting apparatus that no one can seem to identify. It appears to be two vacuum tubes protruding from a casing which includes two sets of three parallel brass plates, presumably with some sort of dielectric in-between. These plates are in turn wired to what I believe is an insulated solenoid of unknown coil number. There is another coil of wire wrapped around a glass test tube connected in parallel to the bulbs and I think to the negative feed (although this connection seems to have worn out). It is made by the Central Scientific Company (Cenco), listed as a "laboratory apparatus" along with "supplies chemical." Dimensions are 30cm bulb to bulb with a 10 x16 cm base and stands 13 cm tall at its highest point (picture attached.

I haven't the slightest clue what this thing is or does but my students are absolutely fascinated with it. Can anyone help me Identify it.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• Mystery Apparatus.jpg
    Mystery Apparatus.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 561
Science news on Phys.org
Would be nice to have a side view and the underneath view of the wiring. Also, there are tube numbers that would be helpful. Initial ques is, the tubes are diodes being used to rectify the potential developed on the single brass loop (transformer secondary) from the coupling of the test-tube windings (transformer primary). But without seeing a side view, that could be completely wrong.

Last edited:
Likes Scott Kozak, Dadface and jim hardy
anorlunda's Central Scientific catalog is from 1918 and seems to be arranged alphabetically

page 421 is start of Pyrometers section
page 427 starts Radio Activity Apparatus (electroscopes)
page 433 is rubber goods

no radio equipment... so i think it's newer than 1918

Is there a number on the tubes? How many prongs , 4 ?
Could be a #30 triode , i have an old radio that uses them

mysteryapparatus1.jpg

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/021/3/30.pdf

MysteryApparatRCA30.jpg

seems the right flavor for a 1930-ish radio experimenter's tool

i can make out an RCA logo on one tube base but not a number. My #30's have the number on the glass envelope ~midway up.

@dlgoff - you 're the maestro !

old jim

Last edited:
Likes Scott Kozak and Dadface
Likes Scott Kozak and dlgoff
dlgoff said:
Okay, it's the receiver of a Radio Demonstration Apparatus Generator and Receive. There is also the generator that would go with it.
See: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/centralsc_radio_demonstration_appa.html

edit: here's a copy of their picture.

View attachment 127909

Thank you very much dlgoff and jim hardy. I really appreciate all the help and detective work. My students were becoming discouraged after they looked through the whole Cenco catalog and didn't find anything, they'll be thrilled to have the mystery solved!

Likes jim hardy and dlgoff

Related to Mystery Apparatus: Can You Identify It?

1. What is the purpose of the Mystery Apparatus?

The Mystery Apparatus is a tool used for scientific experiments and investigations. Its purpose can vary depending on the specific apparatus, but it is generally used to collect data, measure, or manipulate different variables.

2. How does one go about identifying the Mystery Apparatus?

Identifying the Mystery Apparatus may require some research and knowledge about scientific equipment. You can start by examining the shape, size, and components of the apparatus, and then comparing it to known scientific tools and equipment. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field for assistance.

3. What are some common features of the Mystery Apparatus?

The Mystery Apparatus can come in various shapes and sizes, but some common features may include measurement markings, adjustable knobs or dials, and connections for power or other equipment. It may also have specialized components or attachments depending on its purpose.

4. Is the Mystery Apparatus used for a specific field of science?

The Mystery Apparatus can be used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, biology, and engineering. Its purpose and design may differ depending on the field, but it is generally used in experiments and investigations that require precise measurements and data collection.

5. Can the Mystery Apparatus be used for multiple experiments?

Yes, the Mystery Apparatus can be versatile and used for different experiments and investigations. However, its specific purpose and design may limit its use in certain experiments. It is important to understand the capabilities and limitations of the apparatus before using it for a specific experiment.

Back