"Mysterious" beamsplitter cube

In summary: Internal reflections off of the glass-air boundary will likely reflect part of the beam out of the other two faces, but the intensities should be fairly weak.
boxfullofvacuumtubes
I'm using a non-polarizing beamsplitter cube in an experiment, but it's behaving in an unexpected way. I expected that, if a laser beam enters the cube from one side, ~50% of the beam passes through the cube in the same direction, while ~50% of the beam is reflected and exits the cube at a 90-degree angle. So, one beam entering the cube and two beams exiting the cube.

Instead, the beam seems to exit the cube in all 4 directions: passing through, exiting left, exiting right, and even being reflected back to the source. Is this expected behavior? What is causing it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the intensities ?

Last edited:
I didn't measure intensities, but, visually, the beams along the two "expected" axes look ~50% stronger.

boxfullofvacuumtubes said:
Instead, the beam seems to exit the cube in all 4 directions: passing through, exiting left, exiting right, and even being reflected back to the source. Is this expected behavior? What is causing it?

Internal reflections off of the glass-air boundary will likely reflect part of the beam out of the other two faces, but the intensities should be fairly weak.

I didn't measure intensities, but, visually, the beams along the two "expected" axes look ~50% stronger.

Don't trust your eyes. They aren't very good measuring devices. This is a known problem with the version 1.0's and I'd replace them as soon as the first upgraded models come out. :rolleyes:

Likes Tom.G and BvU
I'm using a non-polarizing beamsplitter cube in an experiment, but it's behaving in an unexpected way. I expected that, if a laser beam enters the cube from one side, ~50% of the beam passes through the cube in the same direction, while ~50% of the beam is reflected and exits the cube at a 90-degree angle. So, one beam entering the cube and two beams exiting the cube.

Thanks!

I've noticed a similar phenomenon, in my case it seems to be an 'alignment' problem- using a different input face may fix the problem. The manufacturer may place a marking on the cube to help alignment, I'm not entirely sure how these devices work:

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=754

1. What is a beamsplitter cube?

A beamsplitter cube is a type of optical device that splits a beam of light into two or more beams, usually at a 50/50 ratio. It is typically made of two triangular prisms that are cemented together at their base to form a cube shape.

2. How does a beamsplitter cube work?

A beamsplitter cube works by using a partially reflective coating on one of its triangular prisms. When a beam of light enters the cube, some of it is transmitted through the coating, while the rest is reflected at a 90-degree angle. This creates two beams that are split from the original beam.

3. What are the applications of a beamsplitter cube?

Beamsplitter cubes have a wide range of applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in optical instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, and laser systems. They are also used in photography, holography, and telecommunications.

4. Are there different types of beamsplitter cubes?

Yes, there are different types of beamsplitter cubes depending on the type of coating used and the splitting ratio. Polarizing beamsplitter cubes, for example, use a special coating that separates light into polarized components. Non-polarizing beamsplitter cubes, on the other hand, split light without changing its polarization.

5. Can a beamsplitter cube be used to combine beams of light?

Yes, beamsplitter cubes can also be used to combine two or more beams of light into one. This can be achieved by placing the beamsplitter cube at a 45-degree angle to the incident beams, causing them to merge into one beam. This is commonly used in laser systems and interferometers.