How do you store (safe-keep) beam-splitters?

In summary, someone purchased a cube beam splitter years ago and it was wrapped in tracing paper, really delicately. The person used the cube beam splitter for their experiment and found that it was sensitive to cleaning. They think that using a condom or dipping the cube beam splitter into liquid latex might work as a storage solution.
Callaghan
someone purchased cube beam splitter years ago, it was wrapped around in tracing paper, really delicately.

I un-wrapped it , and used it for my experiment.

Now, my experiment is done, and I don't know how to store it safely.

If I leave it on the shelf carelessly, the beamsplitter will get dusty, and I don't want to do this.
Cleaning the optics is really sensitive.

How do you store or safe keep cube beam splitters? without getting dust and no worries about falling and breaking? (size: 1 inch X 1 inch X 1 inch)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shrink wrap?

wrapping vinyls... I tried that before, but those wraps left really dirty (not dust) stain on the glass surface of the cube beam splitter...

not a good idea...

Actually, I didn't mean vinyl. I was referring to the type used for storing food or laminating documents. Both, as far as I know, are polyethylene-based rather than polyvinyl.
As far as that goes, maybe you could just use an unlubricated condom and tie a knot in it.
Another thing that might work, which the previous sentence brought to mind, is that you could just dip it into liquid latex (available from hobby shops for modelling or even fabric stores in the guise of "Speed Sew"). It will peel off cleanly with no residue when you want to open it.

yes, that was what I meant. the type used for storing food. that left stain on the surface.

dipping into the liquid...

Are there any other candidate?

latex,
Isopropyl alcohol (stored in laboratory)
Acetone (stored in laboratory)

probably not acetone...

Oh...
I'll go think on it some more...
By the bye, I edited my last post with additions which might have been after the part that you responded to. Probably still inapplicable, but what the hey...

polyethylene exudes oils its not good for optics. get a couple photographers lint free lens cloths and wrap them inside and store inside a solid non ferrous box.(want extra security use the same foam lining as a photographers case.)

Last edited:
Likes Danger

Related to How do you store (safe-keep) beam-splitters?

1. How do I store beam-splitters to prevent damage?

To safely store beam-splitters, it is important to handle them with care and avoid any impact or pressure. They should be stored in a clean and dry environment to prevent any dust or moisture build-up. It is also recommended to use protective packaging or individual cases to prevent any scratches or damage.

2. Can beam-splitters be stored for long periods of time?

Yes, beam-splitters can be safely stored for long periods of time as long as they are stored properly. It is important to periodically check the storage conditions and ensure that they are not exposed to any extreme temperatures or humidity. It is also recommended to rotate the stored beam-splitters regularly to prevent any warping or distortion.

3. Should beam-splitters be stored in a specific orientation?

Yes, it is recommended to store beam-splitters in a specific orientation to prevent any damage. They should be stored with the coated side facing upwards to avoid any scratches or damage to the delicate coating. If the beam-splitters have a protective cover, it is important to store them with the cover in place.

4. How do I store beam-splitters to maintain their quality?

To maintain the quality of beam-splitters during storage, it is important to store them in a stable environment with controlled temperature and humidity. They should also be stored away from any sources of vibration or magnetic fields. It is also recommended to store them in a dark location to prevent any degradation of the coating.

5. How often should I check on stored beam-splitters?

It is recommended to check on stored beam-splitters periodically, especially if they are stored for long periods of time. This will allow you to ensure that they are stored properly and prevent any potential damage. If any issues are noticed, it is important to address them immediately to prevent any further damage to the beam-splitters.