Myopia Epidemic: Will We All Wear Glasses in 2030s-50s?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, according to this article, myopia (nearsightedness) is increasing rapidly due to environmental factors. This is the first time I've heard this, and it's interesting. My siblings all developed myopia, apparently due to genetics, and I had good vision in both my eyes until I developed hyperopia later in life. Now I'm considering wearing glasses to improve my small print vision and on my iPhone.
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak for others but I have definitely noticed that my eyesight got worse as I spend more time working on computer and phone. I wear glasses.

The rapid increase in the prevalence of myopia globally is attributed to, "environmental factors (nurture), principally lifestyle changes resulting from a combination of decreased time outdoors and increased near work activities, among other factors," say the authors from Brien Holden Vision Institute, University of New South Wales Australia and Singapore Eye Research Institute.
This is the first time in my life that I've heard that nearsightedness can be induced by how you use your eyes. I thought it was known to be genetic.

Likes OmCheeto
Try to stay away from the forums! 1-2 hours a day! :biggrin:
Computer usage should be limited!

zoobyshoe said:
This is the first time in my life that I've heard that nearsightedness can be induced by how you use your eyes. I thought it was known to be genetic.
Three of my six siblings were born with myopia, as far as I can remember.
The rest of us, had fully functioning eyes, and only developed hyperopia, in later life.
Personally, I was told that I had better than good vision in both eyes (20/15).
But then, when I was about 20, I developed hyperopia within a 6 month period.

But I'm nearly 60, and cell-phone-ish things weren't available back then.

hmmm...

I am in my early 60s and consider my eye sight okay, it is only the small print on documents that is hard for me to see, i guess in my early days i was all ways outside
so do i need glasses yes i think so for small print and my i phone.

Related to Myopia Epidemic: Will We All Wear Glasses in 2030s-50s?

1. What is myopia and why is it considered an epidemic?

Myopia, also known as nearsightedness, is a refractive error that causes distant objects to appear blurry. It is considered an epidemic because it is becoming increasingly prevalent, especially in younger populations, and is expected to affect over half of the world's population by 2050.

2. What factors contribute to the myopia epidemic?

The main factors contributing to the myopia epidemic include genetics, environmental factors such as excessive near work and lack of outdoor time, and lifestyle changes such as increased screen time and decreased physical activity.

3. Will everyone in the future really need to wear glasses due to myopia?

It is difficult to predict the exact percentage of people who will need glasses in the future due to myopia, as it depends on many factors. However, it is likely that a significant portion of the population will require some form of visual correction, whether it be glasses, contact lenses, or surgery.

4. Can the myopia epidemic be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent myopia, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of developing it. These include spending more time outdoors, taking breaks from near work, and practicing good visual habits such as maintaining proper posture and distance from screens.

5. What are the potential consequences of the myopia epidemic?

The myopia epidemic can have various consequences, including the need for increased healthcare resources to treat and manage myopia, potential economic impacts due to decreased productivity, and long-term effects on eye health such as a higher risk of developing eye diseases like cataracts and glaucoma.