My Win 8.1 PC is Acting Out -- Suggestions, Please?

In summary, the PC screen is not cracked, but the left 20% or so of my PC screen is not "operational", it has a large collection of horizontal lines that do not allow me to see the screen. This seems like a hardware question within my PC, so it does not show up in the screenshot.Perhaps you could reseat your video card and clean out any dust inside your pc to prevent static discharge.Also did any software updates get applied that somehow could cause this? I’d search to see if anyone with your pc model had this same problem. Once following an Ubuntu update my screen went blank, they eventually fixed it and said the wrong driver got applied.Please see attached. It took most of my
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I have this cracked e
upload_2018-1-14_14-26-34.png
lectronic screen. Any suggestions, please?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-14_14-26-34.png
    upload_2018-1-14_14-26-34.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,045
Computer science news on Phys.org
Never mind, sorry, the problem is within my PC, so it is not showing up in post. It seems the 'Delete' option is disabled.

What are you talking about?

If you want this thread removed just report it to the mentors.

The left 20% or so of my PC screen is not "operational", it has a large collection of horizontal lines that do not allow me to see the screen. This seems like a hardware question within my PC, so it does not show up in the screenshot.

Maybe you could reseat your video card and clean out any dust inside your pc to prevent static discharge.

Also did any software updates get applied that somehow could cause this? I’d search to see if anyone with your pc model had this same problem. Once following an Ubuntu update my screen went blank, they eventually fixed it and said the wrong driver got applied.

image000000.jpg
Please see attached. It took most of my skillset to be able to do it. Phew!

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 541
Try to check your monitor first. Switch it off and back on. If the problem persists look at the cable connecting monitor to pc. See if it is loose.

QuantumQuest said:
Try to check your monitor first. Switch it off and back on. If the problem persists look at the cable connecting monitor to pc. See if it is loose.
Thanks, but this is not a desktop, it is a laptop, so cannot disconnect monitor separately. It may be possible to detach monitor from rest of laptop, but I don't have that level of game at this point. Also, since it is a laptop, there is no one cable connecting the monitor to the pc that I can tell.

WWGD said:
Thanks, but this is not a desktop, it is a laptop, so cannot disconnect monitor separately

I thought that you talked about PC in post #5 but no problem if it is a laptop then you have to connect it to an external screen in order to see if the problem is in monitor or graphics card (video chipset otherwise).

Likes WWGD
QuantumQuest said:
I thought that you talked about PC in post #5 but no problem if it is a laptop then you have to connect it to an external screen in order to see if the problem is in monitor or graphics card (video chipset otherwise).
I though PC referred to/described OS architecture, with 'PC' meaning some version of Windows, as opposed to Linux, Ubuntu, or Apple OS.

WWGD said:
I though PC referred to/described OS architecture, with 'PC' meaning some version of Windows, as opposed to Linux, Ubuntu, or Apple OS..

I see but usually we use the term "PC" to refer to some desktop machine and "laptop" for a portable "PC" if you will. Although the term PC comes from IBM's original personal machine back in the eighties it is used in common (everyday) language for every desktop machine regardless of its OS with the only exception being Mac. To be precise the modern PC architecture is IBM Compatible PC.

Likes WWGD
QuantumQuest said:
... if it is a laptop then you have to connect it to an external screen in order to see if the problem is in monitor or graphics card (video chipset otherwise).
Yeah, what he said.

phinds said:
Yeah, what he said.
How do I do that , given I don't have ( access to a ) lab?

WWGD said:
How do I do that , given I don't have ( access to a ) lab?
Can you borrow a monitor from someone who has a desktop, or take your laptop to their place and hook up to their monitor?

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
Can you borrow a monitor from someone who has a desktop, or take your laptop to their place and hook up to their monitor?
Thanks, sorry if this is a dumb question, but, what type of cable do I use to connect my laptop to a monitor?

WWGD said:
Hi All,
I have this cracked eView attachment 218430lectronic screen. Any suggestions, please?
Now I have been recorded in a picture for eternity. :oldlaugh:
WWGD said:
Thanks, sorry if this is a dumb question, but, what type of cable do I use to connect my laptop to a monitor?
If it is a modern monitor, HDMI is to be likely. If it is a projector chances are it will be VGA. Perhaps DVI, but I've rarely seen laptops with DVI. They usually have HDMI, VGA or both.

If you have a TV, you can try on it.

Soruce: https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-which-connection-to-choose/

Has anything hit that side of the screen, for those lines to occur? e.g. dropped

StevieTNZ said:
Has anything hit that side of the screen, for those lines to occur? e.g. dropped
The PC itself is cracked, not sure how it happened, but the screen itself is not cracked, thanks.

WWGD said:
The PC itself is cracked, not sure how it happened, but the screen itself is not cracked, thanks.
By PC, do you mean the hardware?
What @jedishrfu said is on spot. Drivers can cause problems like that sometimes. Your options would be

1. Rollback the video drivers
2. Update the video drivers
3. Do a System Restore

Some people start with option 3 because it is the easiest to find and covers pretty much everything software related. For options 1 and 2, you can enter Safe Mode and do it from there.

Does the screen appears when you enter the BIOS/UEFI utility looks fine? If it all shows good on those utilities it is most likely a driver problem.

That sure looks like the classical physically damaged screen! The vertical lines on the left indicate a disconnect from the screen driver chips that do pixel addressing. The jagged black feature indicates fractures of one of the glass layers making up the screen.

I suggest taking it to a computer repair shop for a visual inspection and verification; they see a LOT of those instances. Used replacement screens are usually available for around USD$100. Replacing them though is definitely not a job for the inexperienced!

p.s. You got lucky. If that much of an impact occurs while the computer is running, the Hard Drive is usually destroyed too.

Related to My Win 8.1 PC is Acting Out -- Suggestions, Please?

1. Why is my Win 8.1 PC acting out?

There could be several reasons for this, such as a virus or malware infection, outdated software or drivers, hardware issues, or corrupted system files.

2. How can I diagnose the problem with my PC?

You can start by running a full virus scan and checking for any software or driver updates. You can also try performing a system restore to a point when your PC was functioning properly.

3. What can I do to prevent my PC from acting out in the future?

Regularly updating your software and running virus scans can help prevent future issues. It's also important to properly shut down your PC and avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading unknown files.

4. Is there any specific software I should use to fix my PC?

It depends on the specific issue with your PC. You may need to use a virus removal tool, disk cleanup software, or a system repair tool. It's best to research and choose a reputable and trusted software for your specific problem.

5. Should I seek professional help for my PC issue?

If you are not confident in your ability to fix the issue, it's best to seek professional help. They have the expertise and tools to properly diagnose and fix the problem with your PC.