My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary, the new rhyme, which lists the planets and then minor planets in order in terms of distance from the Sun, was chosen as the winner of the National Geographic planetary mnemonic contest. Some people are concerned that it is just a white elephant, but others like the idea of a final, definitive list.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
That's http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/27/planets.mnemonic.ap/index.html" of "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas". The new rhyme, which lists the planets and then minor planets in order in terms of distance from the Sun, was chosen as the winner of the winner of the National Geographic planetary mnemonic contest.

So, the question is, will this new rhyme be valid after "http://gpd.jhuapl.edu/" " commencing on August 14? A lot of people really, really like their educated mother. Might this new rhyme be just another a white elephant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, crud, now I KNOW I'm old...there are two more planets than when I had to learn them as a kid! :cry: (I thought Pluto got a demotion though? Did they spring him from the dog pound and let him join the planets again?)

Eris? Wow, that's a new one to me! And Ceres is a planet now...well I'll be darned. It's smaller than our moon and its orbit isn't in the plane with the other planets...whose idea was it to promote it to planet status?

No, they're "minor planets," as is Pluto.

- Warren

Moonbear said:
Oh, crud, now I KNOW I'm old...there are two more planets than when I had to learn them as a kid! :cry:
The new rhyme lists the planets and the *known* minor planets. It will be in need of a constant upgrade as we discover ever more miscellaneous stuff beyond Pluto that fits the new definition of minor planets.
(I thought Pluto got a demotion though? Did they spring him from the dog pound and let him join the planets again?)
Pluto is still in the doghouse. Some of the participants in the "Great Planet Debate" at JHU/APL late this summer definitely want to spring Pluto from the doghouse. We'll see. I kind like the new definition. We will find no new "planets" in our solar system with this definition. There are only eight planets, period. There is something to be said for finality. We will find a lot of minor junk, no finality here. Which is fine; it's minor junk.

I like the sci fi term planetoid for minor planets.

The one I learned recently for the nine classic planets is " My very easy method just say your nine planets".

The your is as in modern text speak 'ur'.

I've never heard any of these, I just memorized the planets. :frown:

In music, though, I still remember "every good boy does fine"

Last edited:

Related to My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants

1. What is "My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants"?

"My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants" is a popular children's book written by author and illustrator Eric Carle. It tells the story of a magic carpet that takes the reader on a journey through different landscapes, including under nine palace elephants.

2. What is the significance of the nine palace elephants in the story?

The nine palace elephants in the story represent the different stages of life and the journey we take through them. Each elephant represents a different stage, from birth to old age, and symbolizes the passing of time and the experiences we have along the way.

3. Is "My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants" based on a real story?

No, the story is not based on a real event or person. It is a work of fiction created by the author, Eric Carle, who is known for his imaginative and whimsical stories for children.

4. What lessons can children learn from reading "My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants"?

The story teaches children about the journey of life and the importance of cherishing each moment and making the most of every experience. It also encourages imagination and curiosity, as the magic carpet takes the reader on a fantastical adventure.

5. Is "My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants" appropriate for all ages?

Yes, the book is suitable for all ages, although it is primarily targeted towards young children. The colorful illustrations and simple language make it accessible and enjoyable for young readers, while the underlying themes and messages can also be appreciated by older readers.

Back