My Physics teacher presented a wrong diagram? (Explanation↓)

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the formula a = g x sinθ during a physics lab and the confusion surrounding the accompanying diagram drawn by the teacher. The correct formula was confirmed to be a = g x sinθ, but the diagram did not accurately represent the vectors involved. It was suggested to use a normal from the lower end of g to the hypotenuse to determine the acceleration component. It was also recommended to double check vector calculations by considering how the force would change with the given angle.
mioei
My Physics teacher told us to use a = g x sinθ during a lab trying to find how close we could calculate gravity using an inclined plane, a moving cart and a motion sensor to measure acceleration. He also drew a diagram next to the formula. I just wanted to confirm that his diagram was wrong, or whether i was looking at it incorrectly.https://gyazo.com/81845ac6ad3da72caf84e5a8d0501c83

After looking at the diagram i noticed there was no possible way a = g x sinθ could happen from that diagram. Sin = Opposite / Hypotenuse, meaning it would be g = a x sinθ. I looked up what the correct formula was and a = g x sinθ appeared. This means his diagram must be wrong or there must be something here i couldn't see. Could some one send me a correct diagram or tell me why i am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if the sides of the triangles are accelerations, the diagram is not right. The tangential acceleration (a) is less than g.

Last edited:
I think you are mis-interpreting the diagram. The sides of the triangle do not represent the vectors and their length is not proportional to the magnitude of the vectors.
It simply shows the slope down which your cart is rolling.
The direction of the sides shows the directions of a and g, but the lengths of the sides do not show their magnitude.

If you consider various angles for theta, you can see that the formula is reasonable.
When theta is 0, g causes no horizontal acceleration.
When theta is 90deg, the slope is vertical and a = g.
In vector terms, the component of g along the slope is g cos(90 - θ) = g sin(θ)

Likes berkeman
mioei said:
My Physics teacher told us to use a = g x sinθ during a lab trying to find how close we could calculate gravity using an inclined plane, a moving cart and a motion sensor to measure acceleration. He also drew a diagram next to the formula. I just wanted to confirm that his diagram was wrong, or whether i was looking at it incorrectly.https://gyazo.com/81845ac6ad3da72caf84e5a8d0501c83

After looking at the diagram i noticed there was no possible way a = g x sinθ could happen from that diagram. Sin = Opposite / Hypotenuse, meaning it would be g = a x sinθ. I looked up what the correct formula was and a = g x sinθ appeared. This means his diagram must be wrong or there must be something here i couldn't see. Could some one send me a correct diagram or tell me why i am wrong?
His diagram is guaranteed to confuse you, and he should have realized this. Drop a normal from the lower end of g to the hypotenuse. This will produce a new triangle. The side of this new triangle parallel to the hypotenuse will be the component of g along the hypotenuse, and will be your acceleration component.

Chet

Merlin3189 said:
The sides of the triangle do not represent the vectors and their length is not proportional to the magnitude of the vectors.
It happens all the time and students need to be really disciplined to choose the correct triangle for vector calculations. The teacher should have either have drawn out the vector diagram over the physical picture or warned the students that they needed to do so.
I always recommend to check you've got it right by asking yourself if the force is increasing or decreasing with the angle that's shown (by eye). In a case like this one, g is clearly the maximum available and the acceleration a would be zero if the plane were horizontal. Hence, we're talking in terms of gsine(θ). In other examples, where an angle is drawn in a different place, it can be Cos(θ) that emerges from the sums.
@mioei: it was a good idea to bring the problem to PF and you presented the question well, rather than just saying "whats the answer?" Keep in touch!

Likes Merlin3189 and Chestermiller

1. What should I do if my physics teacher presented a wrong diagram?

First, it's important to communicate your concerns to your teacher. Politely bring up the discrepancy and ask for clarification. Your teacher may have made a mistake or there may be a valid reason for the difference. If you still have doubts, consult with another teacher or a trusted resource.

2. Can I trust my physics teacher if they presented a wrong diagram?

It's natural to question your teacher's credibility, but one mistake does not necessarily mean they are not trustworthy. Remember that teachers are human and can make mistakes too. If you consistently find errors in their teachings, it may be worth addressing with a higher authority.

3. How can I determine if the diagram presented by my physics teacher is wrong?

One way to determine the accuracy of a diagram is to cross-reference it with other reliable sources. You can also try to recreate the diagram yourself based on the given information and see if it matches. If there are discrepancies, it's best to bring it up with your teacher.

4. Why is it important for my physics teacher to present accurate diagrams?

Accurate diagrams are crucial in understanding and visualizing scientific concepts. They help to simplify complex ideas and aid in the learning process. If a diagram is incorrect, it can lead to misunderstandings and potentially affect your understanding of the subject.

5. What should I do if my physics teacher refuses to acknowledge the mistake in the diagram?

If you feel that your teacher is not addressing the issue appropriately, you can bring it up with a higher authority, such as a department head or principal. It's important to handle the situation respectfully and professionally. You can also seek assistance from other teachers or outside resources to clarify any confusion.