My methods for solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW

In summary, MarkFL and Sun submitted two methods for solving the High School POTW. MarkFL's solution is elegant and Sun's solution is well done. The POTW is warranted still because the solutions are interesting and the problem is challenging.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB,

I wanted to post the 2 methods I provided for solving the High School POTW, which I submitted for use that week. :D

The problem was to solve:

\(\displaystyle \left\lfloor x+\frac{7}{3} \right\rfloor^2+\left\lfloor x-\frac{9}{4} \right\rfloor=16\)

Method 1:

We may choose to set (where $n\in\mathbb{Z}$):

$\displaystyle n\le x+\frac{7}{3}<n+1$

so that:

$\displaystyle \left \lfloor x+\frac{7}{3}\right \rfloor^2=n^2$

So now our equation is:

$\displaystyle n^2+\left \lfloor x-\frac{9}{4}\right \rfloor=16$

$\displaystyle 16-n^2=\left \lfloor x-\frac{9}{4}\right \rfloor$

and this gives us:

$\displaystyle 16-n^2\le x-\frac{9}{4}<16-n^2+1$

$\displaystyle 16-n^2\le x-\frac{9}{4}<17-n^2$

We may simplify the system as:

$\displaystyle n-\frac{7}{3}\le x<n-\frac{4}{3}$

$\displaystyle \frac{73}{4}-n^2\le x<\frac{77}{4}-n^2$

We now have two intervals where $x$ must be, and since $x$ must simultaneously satisfy both inequalities, we want to find the intersection of these two intervals, or where they overlap. In order for there to be any overlap, we require the lower bound of each interval to be less than or equal to the upper bound of the other, giving us:

$\displaystyle n-\frac{7}{3}\le\frac{77}{4}-n^2\:\therefore\:n^2+n-\frac{259}{12}\le0$

and

$\displaystyle \frac{73}{4}-n^2\le n-\frac{4}{3}\:\therefore\:0\le n^2+n-\frac{235}{12}$

For $\displaystyle n^2+n-\frac{259}{12}\le0$ we find, by equating the quadratic to zero to find its roots:

$\displaystyle n=\frac{-3\pm\sqrt{786}}{6}$

So, using decimal approximations, $n$ must be greater than about $-5.1726$ and less than about $4.1726$.

For $\displaystyle 0\le n^2+n-\frac{235}{12}$ we find, by equating the quadratic to zero to find its roots:

$\displaystyle n=\frac{-3\pm\sqrt{741}}{6}$

So, using decimal approximations, $n$ must be less than about $-4.9535$ and greater than about $3.9535$.

So, we find the only integer solutions for $n$ are $-5$ and $4$.

Case 1:

$\displaystyle n=-5$

$\displaystyle -\frac{22}{3}\le x<-\frac{19}{3}$

$\displaystyle -\frac{27}{4}\le x<-\frac{23}{4}$

Thus:

$\displaystyle -\frac{27}{4}\le x<-\frac{19}{3}$

Case 2:

$\displaystyle n=4$

$\displaystyle n-\frac{7}{3}\le x<n-\frac{4}{3}$

$\displaystyle \frac{73}{4}-n^2\le x<\frac{77}{4}-n^2$

$\displaystyle \frac{5}{3}\le x<\frac{8}{3}$

$\displaystyle \frac{9}{4}\le x<\frac{13}{4}$

Thus:

$\displaystyle \frac{9}{4}\le x<\frac{8}{3}$

So, the solution for $x$ in interval notation is:

$\displaystyle \left[-\frac{27}{4},-\frac{19}{3} \right)\,\cup\,\left[\frac{9}{4},\frac{8}{3} \right)$

Method 2:

The first step is to reduce the floor arguments using:

$\displaystyle \lfloor x\pm(n+k) \rfloor=\lfloor x\pm k \rfloor\pm n$ where $\displaystyle n\in\mathbb N$ and $\displaystyle k\in\mathbb R$, $0<k<1$.

So now we have:

$\displaystyle \left(\left\lfloor x+\frac{1}{3}\right\rfloor +2\right)^2+\left\lfloor x-\frac{1}{4}\right\rfloor-2=16$

$\displaystyle \left\lfloor x+\frac{1}{3}\right\rfloor^2+4\left\lfloor x+\frac{1}{3}\right\rfloor+
\left\lfloor x-\frac{1}{4}\right\rfloor=14$

Then we observe that:

$\displaystyle d\left(x-\frac{1}{4},x+\frac{1}{3} \right)=\left|\left(x+\frac{1}{3} \right)-\left(x-\frac{1}{4} \right) \right|=\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{4}=\frac{7}{12}$

Now since the difference between the two arguments is less than 1 we have to consider two cases. Either the two arguments are between successive integers or the two arguments lie on either side of an integer. In the first case, the smaller argument may be equal to the smaller of the two successive integers but the larger argument must be strictly less than the larger of the two successive integers.

Case 1:

$\displaystyle n\le x-\frac{1}{4}<n+\left(1-\frac{7}{12} \right)$

$\displaystyle n\le x-\frac{1}{4}<n+\frac{5}{12}$

$\displaystyle n+\frac{1}{4}\le x<n+\frac{2}{3}$

Since both arguments are between the same two successive integers, we must have:

$\displaystyle n=\left\lfloor x-\frac{1}{4}\right\rfloor=\left\lfloor x+\frac{1}{3}\right\rfloor$

Our equation becomes:

$\displaystyle n^2+5n-14=0$

$\displaystyle (n+7)(n-2)=0$

Since this equation has integral roots, we may proceed.

First root: $n=-7$

$\displaystyle -7+\frac{1}{4}\le x<-7+\frac{2}{3}$

$\displaystyle -\frac{27}{4}\le x<-\frac{19}{3}$

Second root: $n=2$

$\displaystyle 2+\frac{1}{4}\le x<2+\frac{2}{3}$

$\displaystyle \frac{9}{4}\le x<\frac{8}{3}$

Thus, from the first case, we find the solution for $x$ in interval notation as:

$\displaystyle \left[-\frac{27}{4},-\frac{19}{3} \right)\,\cup\,\left[\frac{9}{4},\frac{8}{3} \right)$

Case 2:

$\displaystyle n=\left\lfloor x-\frac{1}{4} \right\rfloor$

$\displaystyle n+1=\left\lfloor x+\frac{1}{3}\right\rfloor$

And our equation becomes:

$\displaystyle (n+1)^2+4(n+1)+n-14=0$

$\displaystyle n^2+2n+1+4n+4+n-14=0$

$\displaystyle n^2+7n-9=0$

This equation has irrational roots, so there are no valid solutions to consider from this case.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I love it when the solutions are so elegant as these...mine looks like a bit childish!:eek:

Bravo, MarkFL!(Clapping)

anemone said:
I love it when the solutions are so elegant as these...mine looks like a bit childish!:eek:

Bravo, MarkFL!(Clapping)

(Sun) I love the way you incorporated the colors of my usergroups into my username.

I thought your solution was very well done too! Congrats on getting it correct! (Clapping)

I never formally studied the floor/ceiling functions and found this problem to be a way for me to try to become more familiar with the step functions. (Emo)

I've added these two solutions to the POTW as well. I was planning on doing this originally so quickly posted the solution from anemone. Sorry for not including your solutions at first Mark! :(

Anyway, I think that this problem is interesting enough as well as are the solutions that this thread is warranted still. :D

Jameson said:
I've added these two solutions to the POTW as well. I was planning on doing this originally so quickly posted the solution from anemone. Sorry for not including your solutions at first Mark! :(

Anyway, I think that this problem is interesting enough as well as are the solutions that this thread is warranted still. :D

Hey, no worries...I just figured you are in the habit of posting only the solutions of those who submitted a solution, but I did feel that MHB would benefit from having these methods publicly available too. :D

Also, since I had to redo the solutions because as you know I actually mistyped the problem, I just couldn't let all that work go unseen. (Tongueout)

Related to My methods for solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW

1. What was your motivation for solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW?

As a scientist, I am constantly looking for opportunities to challenge myself and improve my problem-solving skills. The July 8, 2013 High School POTW presented a unique challenge that I was eager to tackle.

2. What steps did you take to solve the July 8, 2013 High School POTW?

I first read through the problem carefully to ensure I understood the given information and what was being asked. Then, I brainstormed potential strategies and approaches for solving the problem. Next, I gathered any necessary equations or formulas and organized my work in a clear and logical manner. Finally, I checked my solution multiple times to ensure accuracy.

3. Did you encounter any challenges while solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW?

Yes, there were a few challenges that I encountered while solving the problem. One challenge was ensuring that I had all the necessary information and understanding of the problem. Another challenge was choosing the most efficient and effective method for solving the problem. Overall, these challenges allowed me to think critically and improve my problem-solving skills.

4. Can you explain your reasoning and logic behind your solution to the July 8, 2013 High School POTW?

My reasoning and logic for solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW involved careful analysis of the given information, applying relevant equations and principles, and double-checking my work for accuracy. I also made sure to show all of my steps and explanations in a clear and organized manner.

5. How can your methods for solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW be applied to other problems?

The methods I used for solving the July 8, 2013 High School POTW can be applied to a variety of problems in the fields of mathematics and science. These methods include careful analysis, strategic thinking, and thorough checking of work. By following these steps, one can approach any problem with a logical and organized mindset, increasing the chances of finding a successful solution.