Integer Solutions for Equation: POTW #453 - Feb 1st, 2021

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, an integer solution is a set of values for the variables in an equation that results in a whole number answer when substituted into the equation. To find integer solutions, algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing can be used. Integer solutions are important for solving real-world problems and have applications in various fields. Equations can have more than one integer solution, but there are also equations that do not have any integer solutions, such as those with irrational or complex solutions.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Find all integer solutions of the equation $\left\lfloor \dfrac{x}{1!} \right\rfloor+\left\lfloor \dfrac{x}{2!} \right\rfloor+\cdots+\left\lfloor \dfrac{x}{10!} \right\rfloor=1001$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to kaliprasad for his correct solution, which you can find below:
Let us define
$f(x) = \lfloor \frac{x}{1!}\rfloor + \lfloor \frac{x}{2!}\rfloor +\cdots + \lfloor \frac{x}{10!}\rfloor $
So we have
$f(x) > \lfloor \frac{x}{1!}\rfloor $ for $x>=2$
as $f(x) = 1001$ so
$x < 1001$
As $7!>1000$ so we have $\lfloor \frac{x}{n!}\rfloor =0 $ for $x< 1000$ and $n>6$
Further
$f(kn!+i)= kf(n!) + f(i)\cdots(1)$ for k = 1 to n and i is less than n!
This is so because for m < n
$\lfloor \frac{kn!+l}{m!} \rfloor = \lfloor\frac{kn!}{m!}\rfloor + \lfloor \frac{l}{m!} \rfloor $
additionally
$f(kn!+i)= f(kn!) + f(i)\cdots(2)$ for any $k$ and $ i \le n!\cdots(2)$
and $f((n+1)!) = (n+1)f(n!) + 1$
to use the facts let us calculate f(k!) for k = 1 to 6.
f(1) = 1, f(2) = 3, f(6) = 10, f(24) = 41, f(120) = 206
and f(720) = 1237
so the value of x is less than 720 so let us look at next lowest factorial that is 120
f(120) = 206
$\lfloor \frac{1000}{206}\rfloor = 4$
using (1) $f(120*4) = 206 * 4 = 824$
Or f(480) = 824
So we have to account for 1001 - 824 = 177
now f(24) = 41
$\lfloor \frac{177}{41}\rfloor = 4$
so we f(96) = 41 * 4 = 164
so $f(576) = f(480+96) = f(120 * 4 + 96)
= f(480) + f(96) = 824 + 164 = 988$
Now we have to account for remaining 13 and f(3!) = f(6) = 10
so 6 goes one more time and we ahve
$f(582) = f(576 + 6) = f(24 * 24 + 6) = f(576) + f(6) = 988 + 10 = 998$ using (2)
now we need to account for 3 and as f(2!) = f(2) =3 so we get
$f(584) = f(582+2) = f(97 * 6) + 2 = f(582) + f(2) = 998 + 3 = 1001$

so x = 584

Related to Integer Solutions for Equation: POTW #453 - Feb 1st, 2021

1. What is an integer solution?

An integer solution is a set of values for the variables in an equation that results in all whole numbers. In other words, all of the variables must be integers (positive or negative whole numbers) for the equation to be satisfied.

2. How do you find integer solutions for an equation?

To find integer solutions for an equation, you can use trial and error by plugging in different values for the variables until you find a set of integers that satisfies the equation. Alternatively, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or substitution to solve for the variables and determine the integer solutions.

3. Can an equation have more than one integer solution?

Yes, an equation can have multiple integer solutions. This means that there are multiple sets of values for the variables that result in all whole numbers when plugged into the equation.

4. Are there any equations that do not have integer solutions?

Yes, there are equations that do not have integer solutions. For example, equations with variables that involve irrational numbers (such as pi or square roots) will not have integer solutions.

5. Why are integer solutions important in mathematics?

Integer solutions are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations and problems involving whole numbers, which are essential in many real-world applications. They also help us understand the behavior and patterns of numbers and equations, leading to further discoveries and advancements in mathematics.