My English -- your impressions please

• Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, your English is pretty good. You have a few small grammatical errors, but they are not significant enough to impair your meaning. You speak at least two languages, and you are probably not a native speaker of English.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I have a little bit odd request to participants of PF. Would you please write here your impression about my English. And please be completely honest. I am not a touchy person. And it is very important for me.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:
I have a little bit odd request to participants of PF. Would you please write here your impression about my English. And please be completely honest. I am not a touchy person. And it is very important for me.
Thanks in advance.
Overall, your English is pretty good. I clicked into a couple of your recent posts, and there are small grammatical errors here and there, but the important thing is that they are small enough so that your meaning is clear in each case. How many languages do you speak? What is your native language?

I'll highlight a few of the small errors I see in two of your recent posts -- if you have questions about them, just ask. :smile:
wrobel said:
On the level of serious philosophy, Christianity does not contradict to any scientific knowledge. Richard Dawkins argues only with very crude versions of Christianity. Sometimes he argues with his own statements which he imputes to Christians.

wrobel said:
Imagine a right circular cone with smooth surface. The cone is stated such that its axis is parallel to the standard gravitational field g. And you have a piece a thin homogeneous chain. Then you connect the tips of the chain to obtain a loop. You put this loop on the cone:

It is clear, there is a state such that whole the loop forms the circle and rests in the horizontal plane. Are there another equilibriums? How many equilibriums does this system have?

(I know the answer and the solution. It is just for those who doesn't know what to do on weekends evenings :) I enjoyed solving this problem and share it with PF :)
:smile:

Likes Pepper Mint and Cruz Martinez
Your opening post in this thread has no grammatical problems. I can understand it completely, without having to stop and try to guess what you really mean.

However, some choices of words signal to me that you are probably not a native speaker. For example, your very first sentence:

wrobel said:
I have a little bit odd request to participants of PF.

"Little bit odd" is a common expression in English, but I would never use it as an adjective phrase before a noun. I always use it as the predicate of a verb, for example: "Your request is a little bit odd."

However, "I have an odd request" and "I have a slightly odd request" both sound perfectly OK to me.

I think this sort of knowledge requires long experience in reading and listening to English as used by native speakers.

Likes PeroK, berkeman and Pepper Mint
wrobel said:
Thanks in advance.
Prepositions can be problematic.
The first sentence should be ( in the manner of which you have written ), "I have a little bit odd request OF participants of PF."
Although you are making the request TO the participants of PF, the sentence reflects the future action of participants who are being asked to give something back to you, hence the OF.
( One could also use FROM in certain situations depending upon the sentence structure, but in this case, I do not think so, due to the way the sentence is written. )

Eliminating extraneous words:
"I have a request of participants."

You can compare the sentence to:
"I have a request of you."

If you wish to keep the little, bit, and odd:
"To the participants of PF, I have a little bit of an odd request of you."
sounds somewhat better than,
"I have a little bit of an odd request of participants of PF."
where the "of's" seem to run into one another.

Never the less, your English is quite well composed and understandable.
You can take heart in that,
"English is a little bit of an odd language."

Thanks all!
256bits said:
The first sentence should be ( in the manner of which you have written ), "I have a little bit odd request OF participants of PF."
Although you are making the request TO the participants of PF, the sentence reflects the future action of participants who are being asked to give something back to you, hence the OF
these are the subtle nuances, thanks

berkeman said:
What is your native language?
my native language is Russian, I also speak Polish

About your latin: why use cogitor instead of cogito ?

And now that I am asking anyway: wy use "we" in an article that only has one author ?

Likes Pepper Mint

Related to My English -- your impressions please

1. What is the purpose of "My English - your impressions please"?

The purpose of "My English - your impressions please" is to gather feedback and opinions from others on the English language. It allows individuals to share their thoughts and impressions on the language and its usage.

2. Who can participate in "My English - your impressions please"?

Anyone can participate in "My English - your impressions please". It is open to individuals of all ages, nationalities, and backgrounds who have an interest in the English language.

3. How can I share my impressions on "My English - your impressions please"?

You can share your impressions on "My English - your impressions please" by leaving a comment or review on the designated platform or website. This could be through a blog, forum, or social media post.

4. Is there a specific format or structure for sharing my impressions on "My English - your impressions please"?

No, there is no specific format or structure for sharing your impressions. You can share your thoughts in any way you feel comfortable, whether it be through writing, speaking, or creating visual aids.

5. How will my impressions on "My English - your impressions please" be used?

The impressions gathered from "My English - your impressions please" may be used for research purposes or to improve the understanding and usage of the English language. They may also be used to create resources or materials for English language learners.