Mutual Induction and Law of Conservation of Mass

In summary, mutual induction involves the generation of voltage in a nearby coil when a coil is turned on or off. This voltage comes from the magnetic field of the first coil. If the second coil is open circuit, no energy is absorbed. The primary field can lose energy over time if not replenished. The effects of an electromagnetic field on iron objects and the decrease of the field's size or attracting energy are not within the scope of this conversation.
Nishantkumar19
In mutual induction, when a coil is turned on or off, it generates voltage in another nearby coil. But where is that voltage coming from? It can't be created, so what form of energy does it convert from?

As far as I know, when the magnetic field cuts across the coil, that generates voltage, but does the magnetic field itself lose energy that is being converted to voltage in the second coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the energy comes from the magnetic field, which comes from the first coil.

Drakkith said:
Yes, the energy comes from the magnetic field, which comes from the first coil.
If the second coil is open circuit, no energy flows to it. When the first coil has a varying magnetic field, as with AC, it applies an electro motive force to the electrons in the secondary, but as there is an open circuit they cannot move and so no energy is absorbed.

tech99 said:
If the second coil is open circuit, no energy flows to it. When the first coil has a varying magnetic field, as with AC, it applies an electro motive force to the electrons in the secondary, but as there is an open circuit they cannot move and so no energy is absorbed.

What does this have to do with the OP's question or my response?

Drakkith said:
What does this have to do with the OP's question or my response?
My apologies if I have missed the point, but the questioner seemed to be asking if, to induce a voltage in a nearby coil, energy is taken from the field of the primary, and that was the direction of my reply.

tech99 said:
My apologies if I have missed the point, but the questioner seemed to be asking if, to induce a voltage in a nearby coil, energy is taken from the field of the primary, and that was the direction of my reply.

I see. It seemed like you were chiming in just to point out something about an open circuit. No worries.

Does that mean the primary field loses energy over time?

Does the same apply for when an electromagnetic field attracts iron objects?

Is it the size of the field that diminishes, or the attracting energy itself?

Thanks for all your help.

Nishantkumar19 said:
Does that mean the primary field loses energy over time?

If not replenished by the primary circuit, yes. That's why when you turn of the primary, the secondary side shuts off too.

Nishantkumar19 said:
Does the same apply for when an electromagnetic field attracts iron objects?

That is beyond my expertise.

Related to Mutual Induction and Law of Conservation of Mass

1. What is mutual induction?

Mutual induction is the phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field in one circuit induces an electromotive force (EMF) in a neighboring circuit. This occurs due to the interaction of the magnetic fields between the two circuits.

2. How does mutual induction relate to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The Law of Conservation of Mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed or transferred. In mutual induction, the EMF induced in one circuit is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux, which is related to the amount of energy being transferred between the two circuits. Therefore, mutual induction follows the principle of conservation of energy, which is a fundamental aspect of the Law of Conservation of Mass.

3. What are some real-world applications of mutual induction?

Mutual induction is commonly used in transformers, which are essential components in power distribution systems. It is also used in wireless charging technology, such as inductive charging for smartphones and electric toothbrushes. Additionally, mutual induction is utilized in induction motors, generators, and other electrical devices.

4. Can mutual induction occur between more than two circuits?

Yes, mutual induction can occur between any number of circuits as long as they are in close proximity to each other and have changing magnetic fields. In fact, this is how power is distributed in large electrical grids - multiple transformers are connected to each other, creating a network of mutual induction.

5. How does the strength of mutual induction change with distance?

The strength of mutual induction decreases with distance between the two circuits. This is because the magnetic fields between the two circuits become more spread out and weaker as the distance increases. Therefore, the closer the two circuits are, the stronger the mutual induction will be.