Is Current I1 Constant in Mutual Inductance Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between current I1 and I2 in a circuit with two coils, C1 and C2, connected through mutual inductance. While Lenz's law states that a change in current I1 will produce an opposing change in I2, this does not necessarily mean that I1 will remain constant. The amount of change in I2 also depends on the degree of coupling and the characteristics of the coils.
BlackMelon
Hello,

Homework Statement

All variables and known data are given in one of the attached files.
Does the figure 8.2 show that the current I1 is constant?

My assumption is based on Lenz's law. What I mean is that if the I1 varies, there will be changes in magnetic fluxes(delta-B) produced by I1. The circuit C2 will oppose this change by forming its current I2; consequently, there will be fluxes, which are generated by I2, that will penetrate C1 also. Therefore, the assumption will not happen if I1 is constant.

Homework Equations

depicted in one of the attached files.

The Attempt at a Solution

I both study the mutual inductance in the textbook containing the following pictures and Lenz's law. Also, I try to combine them together. I just want to check my understanding.

Attachments

• Flux.PNG
    Flux.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Equation.PNG
    Equation.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what, if anything, you are asking here, but here are my comments.

BlackMelon said:
Does the figure 8.2 show that the current I1 is constant?
No. I1 can vary.
BlackMelon said:
My assumption ... if the I1 varies, there will be changes in magnetic fluxes(delta-B) 1?) produced by I1. The circuit C2 will oppose (but not nullify) this change by forming its current I2; consequently, there will be fluxes, which are generated by I2 , that will penetrate C1 also. Therefore (? I see no logical connection here.), the assumption will not happen if I1 is constant. (AFAI can see, that must be true: if I1 is constant, then it cannot change. But that is trivial.)

But there is nothing to stop I1 from changing. If I1 changes, then there will be an induced emf in C2 and I2 will change. The flux change caused by this will oppose the change in I1, but not prevent it. Here, there is only partial linkage between the coils, so there is plenty of stray or leakage flux which can be changed by I1. But even where there is tight coupling between the coils, unless the flux linkage is 100% and the coil C2 is a perfect conductor, the change in I2 will not be enough to completely prevent the change in I1.

Lenz's law tells you only the sense in which induced emfs and currents act, not their magnitude.

Related to Is Current I1 Constant in Mutual Inductance Systems?

1. What are mutual fluxes?

Mutual fluxes refer to the magnetic fluxes that are shared between two or more magnetic circuits or systems. This phenomenon occurs when the magnetic fields of two or more magnetic sources interact with each other, resulting in the transfer of energy or magnetic flux between them.

2. How is mutual flux related to Lenz's law?

Lenz's law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change that caused it. In the case of mutual fluxes, Lenz's law explains that the induced current in one circuit will create a magnetic field that opposes the initial change in the magnetic field of the other circuit, thus maintaining equilibrium.

3. What are some real-life examples of mutual fluxes and Lenz's law in action?

A common example of mutual fluxes and Lenz's law in action is in transformers, where the changing magnetic field of the primary coil induces a current in the secondary coil, creating mutual fluxes that transfer energy between the two coils. Another example is in electric motors, where the rotation of the rotor creates a changing magnetic field that induces a current in the stator, causing the motor to turn.

4. How can mutual fluxes and Lenz's law be useful in electrical engineering?

Mutual fluxes and Lenz's law are essential principles in the design and functionality of many electrical devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. Understanding these concepts allows engineers to design and optimize these devices to efficiently transfer energy and perform their intended tasks.

5. Can mutual fluxes and Lenz's law be applied to non-electrical systems?

Yes, mutual fluxes and Lenz's law can be applied to non-electrical systems that exhibit magnetic fields, such as ferromagnetic materials. For example, when a magnet is brought near a piece of iron, it creates mutual fluxes that result in the iron becoming magnetized, following the principles of Lenz's law.