Music Theory for Engineers/Scientists

In summary, the conversation was about finding learning resources that teach advanced musical theory from a mathematical or physics perspective. Some recommended resources were "On the Sensations of Tone" by Hermann Helmholtz, "Genesis of a Music" by Harry Partch, "The Science of Musical Sound" by Thomas Rossing, "Musical Applications of Microprocessors" by Hal Chamberlin, and HST725 from MIT open courseware.
thegreenlaser
Basically, I'm looking for learning resources (preferably books) that are kind of like the title of the thread. I'd like to find a book that teaches intermediate-advanced musical theory from a more mathematical and/or physics perspective than normal music theory books. I've played various instruments since grade 4, so I know some basic theory, but I'd like to learn more, and my course on Fourier transforms has got me wondering if this could be accomplished through a more mathematical approach. Does anyone know of any good resources like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are great resources, thanks, I'll definitely check them out. Unfortunately, as you said, they're not quite what I'm looking for.

On the Sensations of Tone - Hermann Helmholtz
Genesis of a Music - Harry Partch

You might want to look at HST725 from MIT open courseware. Check the recommended books in the library. Hope this helps.

Related to Music Theory for Engineers/Scientists

What is music theory?

Music theory is a set of principles and rules that govern the structure, composition, and performance of music. It explains how different elements of music, such as melody, harmony, and rhythm, work together to create a cohesive and pleasing sound.

Why is music theory important for engineers and scientists?

Music theory is important for engineers and scientists because it helps them understand the technical aspects of music, such as acoustics and sound waves. It also allows them to analyze and manipulate musical data, which can be useful in fields such as audio engineering and digital signal processing.

How can music theory be applied in engineering and scientific fields?

Music theory can be applied in engineering and scientific fields in various ways. For example, knowledge of music theory can help engineers design and optimize sound systems, or develop algorithms for speech recognition. In scientific research, music theory can be used to study the effects of music on the brain or to analyze data from musical experiments.

Do engineers and scientists need to have musical background to understand music theory?

No, engineers and scientists do not necessarily need to have a musical background to understand music theory. While some prior knowledge of music can be helpful, it is not a requirement. With a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, engineers and scientists can learn and apply music theory effectively.

Are there any specific branches of music theory that are particularly relevant to engineers and scientists?

Yes, there are a few branches of music theory that are particularly relevant to engineers and scientists. These include acoustics, psychoacoustics, and music cognition. Acoustics deals with the physical properties of sound, while psychoacoustics studies how the brain processes and interprets sound. Music cognition focuses on the psychological and neurological aspects of music perception and performance.