Music and Maths: A Must-Read Article by a Lecturer

In summary, music and math are closely related as both involve patterns, ratios, and sequences. Learning music has been shown to improve math skills, as both require problem-solving and critical thinking. There is no specific type of music that has a stronger connection to math, but all genres can showcase mathematical concepts. Teachers can incorporate music and math in the classroom by using songs to teach concepts or having students create their own compositions. Integrating music and math can also have other benefits, such as enhancing creativity and boosting confidence and motivation.
CerialKiller
An article by one of my lecturers. I think this is a must read for anyone with a background in music and maths.

http://www.parabola.unsw.edu.au/vol26_no1/vol26_no1_1.pdf

It's a bit long, but not that 'dense' if you know what I mean so it's easy to get through.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I found this rather interesting, as a musician

1. How are music and math related?

Music and math have a strong relationship as both involve patterns, ratios, and sequences. The rhythm and melody of music are created using mathematical principles such as fractions and proportions. Similarly, many mathematical concepts, such as symmetry and geometry, are also found in music.

2. Can learning music improve math skills?

Yes, studies have shown that learning and playing music can improve math skills. Both music and math involve problem-solving and critical thinking, so practicing one can improve skills in the other. Learning to read sheet music also helps with spatial-temporal reasoning, which is important for mathematical thinking.

3. Is there a specific type of music that has a stronger connection to math?

No, there is no specific type of music that has a stronger connection to math. The relationship between music and math is present in all genres of music, from classical to pop to jazz. However, certain styles of music may showcase certain mathematical concepts more prominently than others.

4. How can teachers incorporate music and math in the classroom?

There are many ways to incorporate music and math in the classroom. Teachers can use songs to teach math concepts, such as multiplication tables or fractions. They can also have students create their own musical compositions using mathematical principles, such as Fibonacci sequences. Integrating music and math can make learning more engaging and fun for students.

5. Are there any other benefits to integrating music and math?

Yes, there are several other benefits to integrating music and math in education. In addition to improving math skills, it can also enhance creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities. It can also boost students' confidence and motivation, as well as provide a non-traditional approach to learning that can benefit students who struggle with traditional math instruction.