Muon decay and Special Relativity

In summary, cosmic muons have to travel at a speed of approximately 2.99349 x 10^8 m/s in order to reach Earth before decaying in both the Earth and muon rest frames, with the velocity in the muon frame being defined qualitatively as the velocity of Earth's surface.
JackFlash

Homework Statement

Cosmic muons are produced when protons in cosmic rays hit the atmosphere about 10km above us. How fast do muons have to travel in order to reach the Earth before decaying if they live 2.2μs before decaying? Consider the analysis for the rest frame of a) the Earth and b) the muon.

Homework Equations

γ = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-β^{2}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{c^{2}-v^{2}}}[/itex]
β = [itex]\frac{v}{c}[/itex]
t' = γ(t - [itex]\frac{βx}{c}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Really, I'd just like for someone to double check my work to see if I'm on the right track.
So, for a)
t' = 2.2μs
β = [itex]\frac{x}{ct}[/itex]
γ = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(x/ct)^{2}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ct}{\sqrt{(ct)^{2}-x^{2}}}[/itex]

SPOILER shows me solving for t.
Scroll down to "EDIT:" for a neater method.

t' = [itex]\frac{ct}{\sqrt{(ct)^{2}-x^{2}}}[/itex](t - [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{c^{2}t}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{(ct)^{2}-x^{2}}}[/itex]([itex]t^{2} - \frac{x^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex])

Mostly plugging in and subbing. I factored a 1/t out of the parentheses in that last step to cancel out the t in the numerator.

[itex]{\sqrt{(ct)^{2}-x^{2}}}[/itex] * t' = ct[itex]^{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{c}[/itex]

Square both sides and use 2.2 for t'

4.84([itex]c^{2}t^{2} - x^{2}) = c^{2}t^{4} - 2x^{2}t^{2} + \frac{x^{4}}{c^{2}} [/itex]

Then I solve for t. Using v = x/t, I can find the speed needed.

For part b), I'd just change the sign in:
t' = γ(t - [itex]\frac{βx}{c}[/itex])
to
t' = γ(t + [itex]\frac{βx}{c}[/itex])

EDIT:
Alternatively, solving directly for v:
γ = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/itex]
t = x/v
t' = γ([itex]\frac{x}{v} - \frac{vx}{c^{2}}[/itex])
Divide both sides by γ, square both sides...
[itex]t'^{2}(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}) = (\frac{x}{v})^{2} - 2(\frac{x}{c})^{2} - (\frac{vx}{c^{2}})^{2} [/itex]

Some very creative factoring and canceling later...

[itex] v^{4}(\frac{x}{c})^{2} - t'^{2}) + v^{2}(2x^{2} + (ct')^{2}) - (cx)^{2} = 0 [/itex]

Getting Mathematica to solve for me, where:
[itex]t' = 2.2*10^{-6}[/itex]
[itex]x = 1*10^{4}[/itex]
[itex]c = 3*10^{8}[/itex]

Gives three imaginary values and:
[itex]v -> 1.92991*10^{8}[/itex] for part a)

I assume part b) would be just a sign change for velocity when solving?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made this a bit harder than need be. Keep in mind that there are essentially two "observers" moving towards each other, thus the velocity from the Earth rest frame and muon rest frame should agree (even though the muon "thinks" the Earth is moving). Two objects moving towards or away from each other will each attribute the same velocity to the other object. I will use "e" and "u" subscripts to denote the particular frame rather than primes, since it's just easier to keep track of that way:

Known variables:
[itex]d_{e} = 10km[/itex]
[itex]t_{u} = 2.2\mu s [/itex]
due to time dilation: [itex] t_{e} = \gamma t_{u} [/itex]
due to length contraction: [itex] d_{u} = \frac{d_{e}}{\gamma} [/itex]

From Earth's rest frame:
[itex]\frac{d_{e}}{t_{e}} = \frac{10km}{\gamma 2.2\mu s} = v_{e} [/itex]

for the sake of not having to keep typing it out, I'm going to define [itex] R = \frac{10km}{2.2\mu s} = 4.\overline{54}\times 10^{9} \frac{m}{s} [/itex]

Then we simplify:
[itex] R^{2} = \frac{v_{e}^{2}}{1 - \beta ^2} \Rightarrow (1 - B^{2})R^{2} = v_{e}^{2} [/itex]
Latex is being difficult so I can't type the final equation, but the second to last step is: [itex] v_{e}^{2} = \frac{R^{2}}{1 - (\frac{R}{C})^{2}} [/itex]

We end up with [itex] v_{e} = 2.99349 \times 10^{8} \frac{m}{s} [/itex] which sounds about right because atmospheric muons normally travel at around [itex] \beta \approx .994 [/itex]

In the Muon's Frame:
[itex]\frac{d_{u}}{t_{u}} = \frac{\frac{10km}{\gamma}}{2.2\mu s} = v_{u} [/itex]

you can see that this will reduce to the same equation as before, thus:
[itex] v_{e} = v_{u} [/itex] (even though strictly speaking the velocity in the muon's rest frame is defined qualitatively as the velocity of Earth's surface)

Related to Muon decay and Special Relativity

What is muon decay?

Muon decay is a process in which a muon particle spontaneously transforms into other particles, such as an electron and two types of neutrinos. This process occurs due to the weak nuclear force, and the resulting particles continue to decay until they reach a stable state.

How does muon decay relate to special relativity?

Special relativity explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the speed of an object. In the case of muon decay, the fast-moving muon particles experience time dilation, meaning time moves slower for them compared to a stationary observer. This allows them to travel farther before decaying, as observed in experiments.

What is the half-life of a muon?

The half-life of a muon is approximately 2.2 microseconds. This means that after 2.2 microseconds, half of the initial number of muon particles will have decayed into other particles.

How is the half-life of a muon affected by special relativity?

Special relativity predicts that the half-life of a muon should be longer for an observer moving at a high speed relative to the muon. This is because time is moving slower for the muon, so it takes longer for it to decay. This has been confirmed through experiments.

Can muon decay be used to test special relativity?

Yes, muon decay is one of the key experiments used to test the predictions of special relativity. By measuring the half-life of muons at different speeds, scientists can confirm the time dilation effect predicted by special relativity. This supports the validity of the theory and helps us better understand the relationship between space and time.