Multiwire Proportional-Chamber doesn't work

• Thread starter quark.expr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the designer built a proportional chamber that detects cosmic muons. He tested the chamber with a gamma source and found that the electric background noise was bigger than the signal. He made sure the impedances were properly matched and changed the distance between the anode and cathode plates to 1 cm if necessary. Finally, he caught the muons.
quark.expr
Hi there,

I bulit a kind of Multiwire Proportional Chamber in my Institute to detect cosmic muons on sea level. The chamber consists of Plexiglas and contains a double capacitor. The cathodes are two copper plates and in-between the plates the anode which is a grid of wires. The distance between the anode to one of the cathode plates is 10mm, the distance between the wires is 2mm. I worked with a silver coated copper wire with a diameter of 0.1mm. The chamber is airthigt, and filled with a gas mixture of 90% Ar and 10% CO2, the pressure is 1 bar (100000 Pa).

I calculated the whole event, with the Energy transformation of the muons to Ionisation of the gas (Bethe-Bloch-Equation), the number electron/ion pairs produced, the amplification in the proportional range. I calculated a voltage puls, that I should measure, of more then 10 V with an impressed voltage of 2.5 kV.

The Problem: I impressed a voltage up to 2.5 kV with no result of any voltage puls.

What should I do now? Should I raise the voltage until there is a discharge? Should I change the distance between anode and kathode? or what else?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has one tested the chamber with a known beta or gamma source?

I think 2.5 kV should be enough, but would depend on the geometry.

Compare one's design with - http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1742-6596/18/1/011/jpconf5_18_011.pdf?request-id=tCit3xln3BGjno4U3Ai7Kg.

Make sure the impedances are properly matched among cables and instruments, particularly with the detector cable and preamp.

I tested the chamber with a gamma source, but there was still no signal. The electric background noise is bigger than the signal. I made sure the that the impedances are properly matched. The one problem that could be is the circuit diagramm, and the way we are trying to measure the signal...do you know any proper ways of a configuration from any other measurements?

I atatched two pictures of the detector and the configuration.

I could change the distancde between the plate and the wire to about 1cm, if necessary. With a distance of 10cm I could impress a voltage up to 5okV.

What could I do else?

Attachments

• 27092007203.jpg
    27092007203.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 615
  • 27092007207.jpg
    27092007207.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 586
Finally caught the muons!

Hi there,

I finally measured the muons. I can measure 2 microsec long and 0.4 V high Impulses which get more by a factor of 3.5 with a radioactive Source. The as well get more with less screening.

If anybody is interested, contact me for more information.

Related to Multiwire Proportional-Chamber doesn't work

1. How does a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber work?

A Multiwire Proportional-Chamber is a type of particle detector used in high-energy physics experiments. It consists of a series of parallel wires that are connected to a voltage source. When a charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the gas inside, creating a path of ionized electrons. These electrons are then attracted to and collected by the wires, creating an electrical signal that can be measured and analyzed.

2. What are some common reasons for a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber not working?

There are several possible reasons why a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber may not be functioning properly. These include faulty wiring or connections, a damaged or contaminated gas supply, or malfunctioning electronic components. It is important to carefully troubleshoot and test each component in order to determine the specific cause of the problem.

3. Can a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber be repaired if it is not working?

In most cases, a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber can be repaired if it is not working properly. The specific repairs needed will depend on the cause of the malfunction. This may involve replacing damaged wires, cleaning or replacing contaminated gas, or repairing or replacing electronic components. It is important to consult with a qualified technician or scientist to ensure that the repairs are done correctly and safely.

4. How long does a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber typically last before needing to be replaced?

The lifespan of a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber can vary depending on usage and maintenance. With proper care and maintenance, these detectors can last for several years. However, they may need to be replaced if they become damaged or contaminated, or if newer, more advanced technology becomes available.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when working with a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when working with a Multiwire Proportional-Chamber. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and following proper procedures for handling and storing gas and electronic equipment. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the chamber to ensure safe and accurate operation.