Multiverse theory -- Why don't strange things happen here sometimes?

GarberMoisha said:
Bound quantum states that collectively act classically... Okayish for a description but hardly any reason why they have to. What law of physics postulates that quanta must form bound states and act classically as chairs?
None.
All we have is that if the initial configuration is ##10^{25}## particles forming a chair, forward quantum mechanical evolution of that multiparticle system will, with probability very close to certainty, lead to continued chair-like behavior (as opposed to something bizarre such as the chair tunneling through the floor).

But that is also the case with classical analysis of macroscopic systems. It’s tempting to think that the classical treatment starts with our ##10^{25}## particles in a known configuration; we turn that configuration over to Laplace’s demon; the demon calculates the forward evolution into some other configuration which is also a well-behaved chair; low-probability weird behavior is precluded because the entire process is deterministic.
But of course we do nothing of the sort - we describe the chair using the bulk properties of the materials it’s made from, and these are inherently statistical in nature. Out of all the inconceivably huge number of possible microstates that correspond to the macrostate “chair” there will be some in which Laplace’s demon finds that eventually all the molecules in the seat are thermally moving in the same direction at the same time, and we would observe decidedly unchairlike weird behavior. As with quantum mechanical weirdness, the probability of actually observing such things in a chair-sized system is vanishingly small so we don’t consider it.

Last edited:
Likes mattt, dextercioby, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Waver said:
I don't know whether statistics is necessary
Your whole argument, from start to finish, is statistical.
Quantum Waver said:
. It's really a question of whether the universe has zero curvature, in which case space extends infinitely.
That is a question that may not have an objective answer. A mathematical model of the universe may be infinite, but that does not imply certainty of everything predicted by the model.

Quantum Waver said:
Then it becomes a question of whether matter/energy are uniformly distributed, and the observable universe is typical of that. It's known the actual universe is larger than the observable one, otherwise what's observable wouldn't increase over time as light has a chance to reach us from more distant regions.

The point is that a large enough (wouldn't have to be infinite) universe will have every physically possible event happen, including the extremely low probability ones. So it's not just an oddity of MWI.
If the universe is finite, then there can only be finitely many planets, for example. You cannot therefore have "all possible" planets.

Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
None.
All we have is that if the initial configuration is ##10^{25}## particles forming a chair, forward quantum mechanical evolution of that multiparticle system will, with probability very close to certainty, lead to continued chair-like behavior (as opposed to something bizarre such as the chair tunneling through the floor).

But that is also the case with classical analysis of macroscopic systems. It’s tempting to think that the classical treatment starts with our ##10^{25}## particles in a known configuration; we turn that configuration over to Laplace’s demon; the demon calculates the forward evolution into some other configuration which is also a well-behaved chair; low-probability weird behavior is precluded because the entire process is deterministic.
But of course we do nothing of the sort - we describe the chair using the bulk properties of the materials it’s made from, and these are inherently statistical in nature. Out of all the inconceivably huge number of possible microstates that correspond to the macrostate “chair” there will be some in which Laplace’s demon finds that eventually all the molecules in the seat are thermally moving in the same direction at the same time, and we would observe decidedly unchairlike weird behavior. As with quantum mechanical weirdness, the probability of actually observing such things in a chair-sized system is vanishingly small so we don’t consider it.
I would present the case like this. You do an experiment where you build a wall and put a chair on one side of it and wait.

Eventually, the chair and wall biodegrade and all we get from the experiment is the expected macroscopic behaviour.

Then we repeat the experiment. And this outcome repeats until the universe gets to the point where the experiment is no longer possible. And still, statistically, there is no realistic possibility of seeing anything remotely like quantum tunneling of the chair.

So, in what sense, will the chair eventually tunnel through a wall?

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
If the universe is finite, then there can only be finitely many planets, for example. You cannot therefore have "all possible" planets.
There's a finite number of possible physical states. All possible planets is therefore finite. A large enough region of space would contain every kind of planet. Max Tegmark calculates how far
you identical copy would be provided:
Level I: A generic prediction of cosmological inflation is an infinite ergodic universe, which contains Hubble volumes realizing all initial conditions - including an identical copy of you about 10^1029 meters away. https://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/crazy.html
PeroK said:
Eventually a Boltzmann brain could fluctuate into existence and hallucinate a chair tunneling through a wall. If the eternal future of the universe is de Sitter space, than any possible fluctuation will happen.

PeroK said:
If there's no sense in which a chair could tunnel through a wall, why is there a non-zero probability? What does that mean? In MWI, it means it happens in some branches, assuming chair-tunneling is part of the universal wave function's evolution. If it's not, then that should mean the probability is actually zero and we're calculating it wrong.

Last edited:
Quantum Waver said:
There's a finite number of possible physical states. All possible planets is therefore finite. A large enough region of space would contain every kind of planet.
Okay, you may be able to put an upper bound on the number of distinct planets. You can postulate that all those planets exist, but experimental corroboration would be practically impossible.
Quantum Waver said:
Eventually a Boltzmann brain could fluctuate into existence and hallucinate a chair tunneling through a wall.
Not necessarily, for the same reason as above. You can postulate such things, but have no experimental corroboration.
Quantum Waver said:
If there's no sense in which a chair could tunnel through a wall, why is there a non-zero probability? What does that mean?
Precisely my point. What is the physical significance of a probability of an event that is so low that nothing even remotely like that event will ever be observed?
Quantum Waver said:
In MWI, it means it happens in some branches, assuming chair-tunneling is part of the universal wave function's evolution. If it's not, then that should mean the probability is actually zero and we're calculating it wrong.
One problem with MWI is that it postulates a wave function with an infinite amount of information. That raises issues with blithely applying probabilities to events.

But, the fundamental problem with saying that things definitely exist is that if your theory is modified, where did your certainty go?

Likes gentzen
PeterDonis said:
You must be joking. The existence of bound states, for systems where they exist, follows from the Hamiltonian and Schrodinger's Equation. I think you need to learn some basic QM.The laws of physics don't "postulate" chairs. Chairs are just one of a zillion possible bound states that are allowed by the laws of physics. Expecting the laws of physics to specifically tell you anything about chairs is foolish.If you're going to be strict about "adequate" and require an explicit derivation, then classical physics is no more "adequate" than QM, since it doesn't say anything specific about chairs either. (In fact, strictly speaking, it's less adequate, since classical physics can't even explain atoms.)

'Allowed' doesn't mean chairs. You are too lax with the conclusions and assumptions.
'Allowed' as you use the term means observed which is a tautology. You try to explain chairs by postulating that quantum states allow chairs.

The fact is neither classical physics nor QT has an adequate explanatjon for the two states of matter(classical and quantum mechanical). If you were small enough, you'd never withness the Newtonian scales and laws and if you were big enough, it would take 200 000 years of evolution to notice the quantum state of matter.

Which means that both states of matter are aspects of something else that is matter in reality and neither of them is the single explanation of what matter is.

If you insist that chairs are quantum mechanical in nature, you don't have an adequate explanation for the existence of chairs in the first place. If you insist that they are classical, you'd fail to account for the stability of matter that comptises them. Which leads to the conclusion that both concepts from QT and CM are inadequate, seprately or taken together.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and weirdoguy
GarberMoisha said:
You try to explain chairs by postulating that quantum states allow chairs.
How is this any different than saying quantum states allow a hydrogen atom?

GarberMoisha said:
You try to explain chairs by postulating that quantum states allow chairs.
No, we calculate that quantum states predict stable atoms and chemical bonding between them. From there we get the bulk properties of matter and these explain chairs.

Likes mattt, Lord Jestocost, dextercioby and 2 others
GarberMoisha said:
You are too lax with the conclusions and assumptions.
You are too confident and dogmatic with your assertions.

GarberMoisha said:
neither classical physics nor QT has an adequate explanatjon for the two states of matter(classical and quantum mechanical)
"Classical" and "quantum mechanical" aren't states of matter. They are theoretical frameworks.

States of matter are things like "solid", "liquid", "gas", "plasma", "white dwarf matter", "neutronium", "quark-gluon plasma", etc. Classical physics cannot explain the existence of such states. QM can. @Nugatory explained how.

GarberMoisha said:
both states of matter are aspects of something else that is matter in reality and neither of them is the single explanation of what matter is
This looks like personal speculation, which is off limits here.

Likes vanhees71
I am not speculating. I am pointing out that there is a conceptual issue with both frameworks. QM does not talk about things existing in and of themselves with definite properties but of probabilities, hence the existence of chairs is problematic if this is the chosen framework that is to be taken as fundamental and giving rise to everything else.
Classical physics is incompatible with the quantum side of physical matter and is inadequate as a thorough framework.
When you choose one aspect to be fundamental you get MWI, Schroedingers cat, Wigner's friend, etc unobserved quantum paradoxes

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and weirdoguy
GarberMoisha said:
QM does not talk about things existing in and of themselves with definite properties but of probabilities
QM talks about probabilities of measurement results. This talk already assumes that there exist things being measured and things doing the measurements. For example, QM might talk about the probabilities of measurement results on a chair. But such talk makes no sense unless the chair exists, as well as the device we are using to measure it.

Different interpretations of QM make different claims about the "reality" that underlies the probabilities of measurement results, but none of them, as far as I know, claims that in that "reality" the things being measured and the measuring devices don't exist.

Likes PeroK, dextercioby and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
For example, QM might talk about the probabilities of measurement results on a chair. But such talk makes no sense unless the chair exists, as well as the device we are using to measure it.
I don't know that it makes no sense without the pre-existance of the chair. I see in the argument by the OP the usual creationist fallacy only this time applied to a chair.
The possibility of the chair tunneling is small
The possibility of the chair even existing is small and even smaller if their is no chairmaker.
The possibility of the existance of the chairmaker is also very small.
The possibility of the chair existing given the existance of the chairmaker is not so small
This is a longwinded way of saying that I think any particular world is wildly improbable (independent of Quantum Classical Everett or Bohm) and yet here we are.

hutchphd said:
I don't know that it makes no sense without the pre-existance of the chair.
If the chair doesn't exist, how can "these are the probabilities for different possible results of this measurement on the chair" make sense?

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
QM talks about probabilities of measurement results. This talk already assumes that there exist things being measured and things doing the measurements. For example, QM might talk about the probabilities of measurement results on a chair. But such talk makes no sense unless the chair exists, as well as the device we are using to measure it.

Different interpretations of QM make different claims about the "reality" that underlies the probabilities of measurement results, but none of them, as far as I know, claims that in that "reality" the things being measured and the measuring devices don't exist.
If you believe the Universe is quantum, you should not assume the existence of classical stuff like measurement apparati.
Obviously, the Universe in not just quantum and you assuming the reality of the measurement apparatus proves this point. It is quantum and classical. You don't even directly observe the quantum side - you infer this from experiments. This Newtonian-quantum nature of matter is certainly inadequate(note to the other moderators - nowhere did I propose what matter really is; if I had to pick one interpretation, it would be closer to QBism - there matter and the experience of matter are not two separate concepts ). https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.03483

The agent experiences 2 different aspects of matter(quantum/classical) depending on the way of the enquiry.

Oh god I knew better than to touch the tar-baby :oldsurprised: . My point was that the very existance of the chair is far less likely than it tunneling spontaneously through wall. Using the conditional probabilities assuming preexistance of a carpenter then probably not.

GarberMoisha said:
If you believe the Universe is quantum, you should not assume the existence of classical stuff like measurement apparati
If you believe the universe is quantum, then there is no such thing as "classical stuff"; measurement apparati are just as quantum as everything else. Which is still no argument for them not existing.

GarberMoisha said:
Obviously, the Universe in not just quantum
No, this is not at all obvious. What is obvious is that classical physics works, in the sense of making reasonably accurate predictions, for a wide variety of phenomena, including the behavior of things like chairs, given that such things exist (although, as already noted, classical physics cannot explain how such things exist, since it can't explain why atoms exist). But that in itself does not mean "the universe is quantum" is impossible. It means that if the universe is quantum, then classical physics must be derivable as an approximation to QM under appropriate conditions. Which is precisely what many results in QM, such as the Ehrenfest theorem, are intended to show.

GarberMoisha said:
if I had to pick one interpretation, it would be closer to QBism
If this is your preferred interpretation, that's fine--but then you should be using it. It doesn't appear to me that you are, since many of the things you are saying don't look anything like QBism to me, including the things I have responded to earlier in this post, and in my previous posts.

Likes vanhees71, PeroK, Drakkith and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
My point was that the very existance of the chair is far less likely than it tunneling spontaneously through wall.
What are you basing this claim on? On its face it's obviously false, since the existence of chairs is a fact of everyday observation but nobody has ever observed a chair tunneling through a wall, so if QM's predicted probabilities were as you claim here, QM would be an egregiously wrong theory. Which it isn't.

Likes vanhees71
GarberMoisha said:
When you choose one aspect to be fundamental you get MWI, Schroedingers cat, Wigner's friend, etc unobserved quantum paradoxes
Perhaps better to say that if we choose one aspect to be fundamental and then misrepresent it we will get paradoxes. The modern understanding of quantum mechanics leads to neither Wigner's Friend nor Schrodinger's Cat problems and I am totally unclear as to why you think MWI is somehow paradoxical.

Likes vanhees71, Lord Jestocost and gentzen
PeterDonis said:
What are you basing this claim on?
If there were no carpenters in the universe, what would be the probability of a "spontaneous" chair appearing at a place certain?
I should never try to argue philosophy. As a courtesy I will try to quantify if you really insist, but I think the outcome will not be very enlightening.

hutchphd said:
If there were no carpenters in the universe, what would be the probability of a "spontaneous" chair appearing at a place certain?
Still a lot larger than the probability that such a chair would tunnel through a wall in such a universe, since to get the latter probability you have to multiply the tunneling probability we have been talking about, which is conditional on the chair being there next to the wall in the first place, by the probability that the chair will be there.

Likes vanhees71
GarberMoisha said:
Obviously, the Universe in not just quantum and you assuming the reality of the measurement apparatus proves this point. It is quantum and classical. You don't even directly observe the quantum side - you infer this from experiments.
I don't buy this argument. Quantum physics tells us how things work at the very smallest scales and, conveniently, most of the complicated bits can be left out as we move to larger scales so we can do things like build buildings and cars and such with much, much easier math. When your allowed tolerances are millions of atoms across you don't care very much about the uncertainty of the position of a single electron or the like. This doesn't make the universe non-quantum, it just lets us use a simpler set of rules for many things at our scale.

Likes mattt and vanhees71
hutchphd said:
The chair and the wall don't matter. We might as well talk about a rock tunneling through the rock next to it.

Likes Quantum Waver and vanhees71
Drakkith said:
I don't buy this argument. Quantum physics tells us how things work at the very smallest scales and, conveniently, most of the complicated bits can be left out as we move to larger scales so we can do things like build buildings and cars and such with much, much easier math.

This is what I have been arguing against. Rather than assuming that quantum physics is telling you how things work at the smallest scales, you should infer that it is actually preventing you from knowing exactly how things work there. Then, once you get rid of that common misunderstanding, my argument about the nature of matter will appear more naturally.
Drakkith said:
When your allowed tolerances are millions of atoms across you don't care very much about the uncertainty of the position of a single electron or the like. This doesn't make the universe non-quantum, it just lets us use a simpler set of rules for many things at our scale.

You will always be stuck with the act of measurement. This is not just unsatisfactory but hints that the commonly held belief that matter is both Newtonian and quantum depending on how you look, is wrong. These two concept don't work together in a coherent way.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
GarberMoisha said:
Rather than assuming that quantum physics is telling you how things work at the smallest scales, you should infer that it is actually preventing you from knowing exactly how things work there.
Why would I do this?

GarberMoisha said:
You will always be stuck with the act of measurement. This is not just unsatisfactory but hints that the commonly held belief that matter is both Newtonian and quantum depending on how you look, is wrong. These two concept don't work together in a coherent way.
No one is saying matter is Newtonian. We're saying that Newtonian physics is 'close enough' for work at our everyday scale.

Likes mattt and PeroK
Quantum mechanics in its standard form without additional assumptions does not naturally lead to infinite universes and MWI but to ignorance. This is enoded in the HUP in a very robust way and is easily visible in all iterations of the double split experiment.

• Skeptical
GarberMoisha said:
Quantum mechanics in its standard form without additional assumptions does not naturally lead to infinite universes and MWI but to ignorance.
I assume you're referring to uncertainty when you mention 'ignorance'?

Drakkith said:
I assume you're referring to uncertainty when you mention 'ignorance'?

It is the same. Ignorance via 'uncertainty'. The fundamental term is ignorance which arises via uncertainty.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
GarberMoisha said:
It is the same. Ignorance via 'uncertainty'. The fundamental term is ignorance which arises via uncertainty.
This sounds purely like a personal opinion and not something based in mainstream science. I remind you that PF rules do not allow for discussion of personal opinions in most circumstances since we aim to teach mainstream science as it is understood and practiced by the professional scientific community. You can have whatever opinion you like, but I ask that you stay within PF rules. Further posts of this nature will likely result in a thread ban or an infraction.

Likes weirdoguy, LostInSpaces, PeterDonis and 3 others
Seems an odd question. "Strange" presumably means "unlikely enough that it would cause extreme surprise if it actually did happen", and, according to both MWI and all true multiverse theories, unlikely things don't happen very often. So where's the problem? Sure, this very world you are experiencing right now will, according to MWI, have split into an incalculably vast number of worlds before you've finished reading this sentence. And a huge number of those worlds will be ones where pigs have been observed flying to a warmer clime for the winter. But the huge number is miniscule compared with the number of worlds in which this hasn't happened. So the chances of you being in a world where it has happened are vanishingly small.

Last edited:
kered rettop said:
a huge number of those worlds will be ones where pigs have been observed flying to a warmer clime for the winter
This will only be true if there is a nonzero amplitude for the world you were in when you started reading, to transition to the world you describe by the end of your reading. Which is preposterous.

The MWI doesn't say that anything you can concoct in your imagination will happen. It only says that anything that has a nonzero amplitude in the wave function will happen.

PeterDonis said:
This will only be true if there is a nonzero amplitude for the world you were in when you started reading, to transition to the world you describe by the end of your reading.
Correct, and I am saying that if a flying-pig world is possible in the sense of not being self-contradictory then there will be flying-pig states which are not precisely orthogonal to "our" state. Even MWI/decoherence doesn't claim that for its worlds.

PeterDonis said:
Which is preposterous.

Not to put too fine a point on it, that is, at best, appealing to emotion, and at worst, begging the question.
PeterDonis said:
The MWI doesn't say that anything you can concoct in your imagination will happen. It only says that anything that has a nonzero amplitude in the wave function will happen.
Which is precisely why I did no such thing. Of course if you have a proof that the amplitude is necessarily precisely zero for all values of flying pig, I would love to know about it.

kered rettop said:
if a flying-pig world is possible in the sense of not being self-contradictory then there will be flying-pig states which are not precisely orthogonal to "our" state.
This is something you should be making an argument for, not just handwaving.

kered rettop said:
Of course if you have a proof that the amplitude is necessarily precisely zero for all values of flying pig, I would love to know about it.
The burden of proof is on you, not on me. Show me a wave function for our current state that has a nonzero amplitude to transition into a flying pig state.

Likes Motore and PeroK
PeterDonis said:
Show me a wave function for our current state that has a nonzero amplitude to transition into a flying pig state.
I can almost get there. I can get to a frying pig state.

IMG_0019.jpeg :wink:

• Haha
Likes gentzen and hutchphd
PeterDonis said:
This is something you should be making an argument for, not just handwaving.

The burden of proof is on you, not on me. Show me a wave function for our current state that has a nonzero amplitude to transition into a flying pig state.
That's a cop-out. You're the mentor round here. You have a perfect opportunity to show me where my reasoning is wrong. Or not even wrong if it comes to that. I'd learn something and so would the OP.

kered rettop said:
That's a cop-out.
To it it's a cop-out to reverse the burden of proof when you are challenged to support a positive claim.

kered rettop said:
You're the mentor round here.
That doesn't mean I'm obligated to give you a response just because you think you're entitled to it.

kered rettop said:
You have a perfect opportunity to show me where my reasoning is wrong.
I've already told you: I don't think the wave function has a nonzero amplitude for what you're claiming. It's up to you to show that it does, since you are the one that made the claim about flying pigs. You have already agreed with me that a nonzero amplitude in the wave function for such a transition is necessary to support your claim. So it's up to you to show that in fact such a nonzero amplitude exists. You can't just assume that there is a nonzero amplitude for anything you like.