Multivariable Double Integration Problem

In summary, the problem is trying to find the function ##f(y)## in a given region and switching the limits to do so. Inspection helps with finding the function.
methstudent
1. The problem statement
Fill in the blanks ∫ [0,1] ∫ [2x^2,x+1] f(y) dy dx = ∫ [0,1] ( ) dy + ∫ [1,2] ( ) dy
The expressions you
obtain for the ( ) should not contain integral signs.

The brackets are the bounds of integration, and the open parenthesis are the blanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the region and figured that the oder of integration has to be changed. I see that 2x^2 runs from (0,0) to (1,2) and that x+1 runs from (0,1) to (1,2) with these two creating the section we are integrating. It's unclear to me which how the integration goes from in terms of dy and dx to just being an integration in terms of dy.

Physics news on Phys.org
methstudent said:
1. The problem statement
Fill in the blanks ∫ [0,1] ∫ [2x^2,x+1] f(y) dy dx = ∫ [0,1] ( ) dy + ∫ [1,2] ( ) dy
The expressions you
obtain for the ( ) should not contain integral signs.

The brackets are the bounds of integration, and the open parenthesis are the blanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the region and figured that the oder of integration has to be changed. I see that 2x^2 runs from (0,0) to (1,2) and that x+1 runs from (0,1) to (1,2) with these two creating the section we are integrating. It's unclear to me which how the integration goes from in terms of dy and dx to just being an integration in terms of dy.

Originally you have ##0 ≤ x ≤ 1## and ##2x^2 ≤ y ≤ x+1##.

Graphing the region yields ##0 ≤ y ≤ 2## by inspection while ##\sqrt{\frac{y}{2}} ≤ x ≤ y - 1##.

Likes 1 person
How does inspection help when the new integrations are both in terms of dy?

You have a function ##f(y)## with a region that's already been nicely setup. The problem is, you don't know what ##f(y)## is directly, so you can't just integrate with respect to ##y## outright.

If you switch the limits first though, you are able to pull the ##f(y)## further out and then integrate in terms of ##x## first.

How does inspection help when the new integrations are both in terms of dy?

Simply breaking up the resulting integral into two integrals, you have found the answer.

Likes 1 person
oh ok thanks i see how to do it now, thank you very much

Related to Multivariable Double Integration Problem

1. What is a multivariable double integration problem?

A multivariable double integration problem involves finding the volume or area under a three-dimensional surface by performing two integrals.

2. How is a multivariable double integration problem solved?

To solve a multivariable double integration problem, the given function must be integrated twice, with each integration taking into account a different variable. This results in a numerical value that represents the volume or area of the three-dimensional surface.

3. What is the purpose of using double integration in a multivariable problem?

Double integration allows us to find the volume or area under a three-dimensional surface by breaking down the problem into two separate integrals, making it easier to solve.

4. What are the limitations of using double integration in a multivariable problem?

One limitation is that the function must be continuous and differentiable in the region of integration. Additionally, the order of integration must be carefully chosen to avoid complications or errors in the solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of multivariable double integration?

Multivariable double integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate volumes, areas, and other quantities related to three-dimensional objects or systems. It is also used in fields such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism to solve problems involving multiple variables.