Multivariable chain rule proof

In summary: Yes, now do the left side, that's the chain rule part. Remember in the end you are going to put λ=1.But lamda is an element of all real numbers right? So how can you prove this if we only choose lambda as 1?I got ∂f/∂x'*x + ∂f/∂y' *y on the left side. What do we do after that?But lamda is an element of all real numbers right? So how can you prove this if we only choose lambda as 1?
mrcheeses

Homework Statement

Take a constant p ≥ 1 and f(x, y) a function of two variables with continuous
first order partial derivatives. If, f(λx, λy) = (γ^p)f(x,y) for λ ε ℝ, prove that

x(∂f/∂x) + y(∂f/∂y) = pf

Homework Equations

x(∂f/∂x) + y(∂f/∂y) = pf
f(λx, λy) = (λ^p)f(x,y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to start. I know you have to use multivariable chain rule. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mrcheeses said:

Homework Statement

Take a constant p  ≥ 1 and f(x, y) a function of two variables with continuous
first order partial derivatives. If, f(λx, λy) = (γ^p)f(x,y) for λ ε ℝ, prove that

x(∂f/∂x) + y(∂f/∂y) = pf

Homework Equations

x(∂f/∂x) + y(∂f/∂y) = pf
f(λx, λy) = (γ^p)f(x,y)

I just don't know how to start. I know you have to use multivariable chain rule. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Take the derivative of both sides of your defining relation with respect to λ. Then put λ=1.

how would you differentiate with respect to lambda?

Also made a mistake.

Its: f(λx, λy) = (λ^p)f(x,y)

mrcheeses said:
how would you differentiate with respect to lambda?

Also made a mistake.

Its: f(λx, λy) = (λ^p)f(x,y)

Put x'=λx and y'=λy, so f(λx, λy)=f(x',y'). Apply the multivariable chain rule to find ∂f(x',y')/∂λ. Then differentiate the other side with respect to λ as well.

why do you put x prime=λx and y prime=λy?

mrcheeses said:
why do you put x prime=λx and y prime=λy?

Just apply the multivariable chain rule to ∂f(x',y')/∂λ. You'll see.

What about the right side? Is p * lamdba^(p-1) f(x,y) correct?

mrcheeses said:
What about the right side? Is p * lamdba^(p-1) f(x,y) correct?

Yes, now do the left side, that's the chain rule part. Remember in the end you are going to put λ=1.

But lamda is an element of all real numbers right? So how can you prove this if we only choose lambda as 1?

I got ∂f/∂x'*x + ∂f/∂y' *y on the left side. What do we do after that?

mrcheeses said:
But lamda is an element of all real numbers right? So how can you prove this if we only choose lambda as 1?

You can get a more complicated relation that's true for general λ. But the specific result they want you to prove doesn't have a λ in it. That's why I suggest putting λ=1 after you do the differentiations.

mrcheeses said:
I got ∂f/∂x'*x + ∂f/∂y' *y on the left side. What do we do after that?

Convince yourself that e.g. ∂f(x',y')/∂x'=∂f(x,y)/∂x=∂f/∂x when λ=1.

Likes 1 person
Got it, thanks!

Related to Multivariable chain rule proof

1. What is the multivariable chain rule?

The multivariable chain rule is a mathematical concept used in differential calculus to find the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. It allows for the calculation of the rate of change of a function with respect to its inputs, taking into account the chain of functions that make up the composite function.

2. How is the multivariable chain rule derived?

The multivariable chain rule can be derived using the concept of partial derivatives. It involves taking the derivative of the outer function with respect to its input variables, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function with respect to its input variables. This process is repeated for each variable in the composite function.

3. What are the conditions for applying the multivariable chain rule?

The multivariable chain rule can be applied when the outer function is differentiable and the inner function is also differentiable with respect to its input variables. Additionally, the variables in the inner function must also be differentiable with respect to the variables in the outer function.

4. How is the multivariable chain rule used in real-world applications?

The multivariable chain rule has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze complex systems and calculate the rate of change of different variables within those systems. For example, it can be used to model the flow of electricity in a circuit or the movement of a particle in motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the multivariable chain rule?

One limitation of the multivariable chain rule is that it cannot be applied to functions with discontinuities or sharp corners. Additionally, it may become more complicated to use when dealing with higher dimensions or non-linear functions. In these cases, other techniques such as the implicit function theorem may be more appropriate for finding derivatives.