Multivariable Chain Rule of sin(x)cos(2y)

In summary: But, you're not done yet. You have other terms in your formula, as well.You need to express the other terms, in terms of sine and cosine of s and t.Also, you need to express the (1) as s and t.You should get a result that involves s and t, but not s+t or s-t.It's more than a simple substitution. (Sorry, I don't have time to work it out for you, now.)These formulas are commonly used in engineering and physics, so it's a good idea to memorize them.e.g. cos(a-b) = cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b) , etc.The rest is just
SweetBabyLou
Hi all, I've got a Calculus III Question

Homework Statement

Find the derivative zs and zt, where z=sin(x)cos(2y)

Homework Equations

x=s+t
y=s-t

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a go at the solution and this was what I ended up getting

for zs, I ended up getting (cosxcos2y)(1)-2sinxsin2y(1)

where the 1 at the end of the δx and δy were the partial derivatives of x=s+t and y=s-t

I subbed in s and t values for x and y, and I ended up with

zs=((cos(s)+cos(t))(cos(2s)-cos(2t)))-((2sin(s)+2sin(t))(sin(2s)-sin(2t)))

I did the same process for t and got

zt=((-cos(s)-cos(t))(-cos(2s)+cos(2t)))+((2sin(s)+2sin(t))(sin(2s)-sin(2t)))

this seems like a really unnecessarily long answer and I'm pretty sure I messed something up. I can't seem to find the mistake though (I have a feeling its right under my nose).

Also, I don't know if this is really the easiest way to go about doing these problems. I felt like the past few chapters we've learned in lecture have been kinda rushed. If there is any way where these problems could be solved in an easier way, that advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks

--my brain feels like its turning into mush

P.S. if there are any post-editing mistakes, please forgive me. I am not used to posting on this site yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SweetBabyLou said:
Hi all, I've got a Calculus III Question

Homework Statement

Find the derivative zs and zt, where z=sin(x)cos(2y)

Homework Equations

x=s+t
y=s-t

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a go at the solution and this was what I ended up getting

for zs, I ended up getting (cosxcos2y)(1)-2sinxsin2y(1)
Hello SweetBabyLou. Welcome to PF !

You're correct up to this point.

where the 1 at the end of the δx and δy were the partial derivatives of x=s+t and y=s-t
What you have next, is incorrect.
cos(a+b) ≠ cos(a) + cos(b), etc.

Use angle addition identities.
I subbed in s and t values for x and y, and I ended up with

zs=((cos(s)+cos(t))(cos(2s)-cos(2t)))-((2sin(s)+2sin(t))(sin(2s)-sin(2t)))

I did the same process for t and got

zt=((-cos(s)-cos(t))(-cos(2s)+cos(2t)))+((2sin(s)+2sin(t))(sin(2s)-sin(2t)))

this seems like a really unnecessarily long answer and I'm pretty sure I messed something up. I can't seem to find the mistake though (I have a feeling its right under my nose).

Also, I don't know if this is really the easiest way to go about doing these problems. I felt like the past few chapters we've learned in lecture have been kinda rushed. If there is any way where these problems could be solved in an easier way, that advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks

--my brain feels like its turning into mush

P.S. if there are any post-editing mistakes, please forgive me. I am not used to posting on this site yet.

Hi SammyS,

I'm sorry, but I'm not really familiar with Angle Addition Identities (It is probably something I've learned, but has slipped my mind). I did, however, look it up on the friendly neighborhood Google, and saw in Wolfram Alpha's MathWorld, that if I had sin(a+b) (or in this case, s+t) then the result should be something along the lines of, sin(a)cos(b)+sin(b)cos(a). I also see that for cos(a+b) the result should be cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b). Am I headed in the right direction?

SweetBabyLou said:
Hi SammyS,

I'm sorry, but I'm not really familiar with Angle Addition Identities (It is probably something I've learned, but has slipped my mind). I did, however, look it up on the friendly neighborhood Google, and saw in Wolfram Alpha's MathWorld, that if I had sin(a+b) (or in this case, s+t) then the result should be something along the lines of, sin(a)cos(b)+sin(b)cos(a). I also see that for cos(a+b) the result should be cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b). Am I headed in the right direction?
Yes, those are the angle addition identities .

Related to Multivariable Chain Rule of sin(x)cos(2y)

1. What is the multivariable chain rule?

The multivariable chain rule is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a function with more than one variable. It allows us to calculate how a small change in one variable affects the overall function.

2. How is the multivariable chain rule applied to the function sin(x)cos(2y)?

To apply the multivariable chain rule to sin(x)cos(2y), we first find the derivatives of sin(x) and cos(2y) separately, using the standard chain rule. Then, we multiply the two derivatives together to get the final result.

3. What is the purpose of using the multivariable chain rule for sin(x)cos(2y)?

The purpose of using the multivariable chain rule for sin(x)cos(2y) is to find the slope or rate of change of this function at any given point. This can be useful in various real-world applications, such as physics and engineering.

4. Can the multivariable chain rule be used for functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the multivariable chain rule can be used for functions with any number of variables. However, as the number of variables increases, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming.

5. Are there any limitations to using the multivariable chain rule?

The multivariable chain rule can only be used for functions that are differentiable, meaning that they have a defined derivative at every point. Additionally, it can only be used for functions that have a finite number of variables.