Multivariable Calculus: Points in a Straight Line

In summary: Instead of asking, just start writing out the conditions that one (vector) difference is a scalar multiple of the other, and figure out if (a) this can possibly be true; and (2) if true, the value of the scalar.
rmiller70015
Determine whether the points lie in a straight line:
1) A (2,4,2), B (3,7,-2), and C (1,3,3)
2) D (0,-5,5), E (1,-2,4), and F (3,4,2)

I'm not sure what method I need to use to show that they are or are not in a straight line. I know that the three points in a are not in a line but those in group b are in a line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose we have three points in 3d space, and their position vectors are ##\vec{a},\vec{b}## and ##\vec{c}##. If the three points are on the same line, the difference vectors ##\vec{b}-\vec{a}## and ##\vec{c}-\vec{b}## have same (or opposite) direction and their cross product ##(\vec{b}-\vec{a})\times (\vec{c}-\vec{b})## is zero.

I get the cross product thing, but this is from a section be for we were introduced to dot and cross products, so I can't use them.

rmiller70015 said:
Determine whether the points lie in a straight line:
1) A (2,4,2), B (3,7,-2), and C (1,3,3)
2) D (0,-5,5), E (1,-2,4), and F (3,4,2)

I'm not sure what method I need to use to show that they are or are not in a straight line. I know that the three points in a are not in a line but those in group b are in a line.

If A,B,C are in a straight line, C-A must be a numerical (scalar) multiple of B-A. This works in any number of dimensions, not just three.

Ray Vickson said:
If A,B,C are in a straight line, C-A must be a numerical (scalar) multiple of B-A. This works in any number of dimensions, not just three.

Should I use the distance formula to get the scalar then?

rmiller70015 said:
Should I use the distance formula to get the scalar then?

Instead of asking, just start writing out the conditions that one (vector) difference is a scalar multiple of the other, and figure out if (a) this can possibly be true; and (2) if true, the value of the scalar.

Related to Multivariable Calculus: Points in a Straight Line

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with more than one independent variable, such as three-dimensional space.

2. What is the equation for a straight line in multivariable calculus?

The equation for a straight line in multivariable calculus is known as the parametric form and is given by x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, and z = z0 + ct, where x0, y0, and z0 are the initial coordinates of the line and a, b, and c are the direction numbers of the line.

3. How do you find the slope of a line in multivariable calculus?

The slope of a line in multivariable calculus is given by the ratio of the change in the dependent variable (y) to the change in the independent variable (x). It can be calculated using the formula m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

4. How do you determine if a point lies on a straight line in multivariable calculus?

A point lies on a straight line in multivariable calculus if it satisfies the equation of the line. This means that the coordinates of the point must satisfy the parametric form of the line, x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, and z = z0 + ct.

5. How is multivariable calculus used in real life?

Multivariable calculus has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as motion of objects in three-dimensional space, optimization problems, and financial markets. It is also used in designing computer algorithms and simulations.