Multivariable Calc issues showing curve lies on cylinder

In summary, the given space curve x = cos t, y = sin t, z = sin^2 t can be shown to lie on the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 1 without plotting it. To find the planar projections on the xy-plane, xz-plane, and yz-plane, one can use rotations and equations for each projection can be determined. These equations can then be compared to the work done in question 2 to confirm their accuracy.
marquitos
Consider the space curve x = cos t, y = sin t, z = sin^2 t.
(1) Without plotting this curve, show that this curve lies on the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 1.
(2) Plot this curve (without the cylinder), then use the appropriate rotations to see the
planar projections on the xy-plane, the xz-plane and the yz-plane.
(3) Now, nd the equations of each of the 3 planar projections, plot them and compare to
your work on question 2 to con rm your answers.

Honestly i don't have a clue what to do any help would be nice, i think i might have to put X^2+y^2=1 into sins and cosines with respect to theta but i could be completely wrong and even if i did that i don't know where to go so please anything would be great thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
marquitos said:
Consider the space curve x = cos t, y = sin t, z = sin^2 t.
(1) Without plotting this curve, show that this curve lies on the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 1.
Just do it! What is x^2+ y^2 in terms of t?

(2) Plot this curve (without the cylinder), then use the appropriate rotations to see the
planar projections on the xy-plane, the xz-plane and the yz-plane.
I presume you are to use some kind of graphing software?

(3) Now, nd the equations of each of the 3 planar projections, plot them and compare to
your work on question 2 to conrm your answers.

In the xy-plane, z= 0 so your equations are x= cos t, y= sin t, z= 0.

In the xz-plane, y= 0 so your equations are x= cos t, y= 0, z= sin^2 t= 1- cos^2 t.

In the yz- plane, x= 0 so your equations are x= 0, y= sn t, z= sin^2 t.

Honestly i don't have a clue what to do any help would be nice, i think i might have to put X^2+y^2=1 into sins and cosines with respect to theta but i could be completely wrong and even if i did that i don't know where to go so please anything would be great thank you.

Related to Multivariable Calc issues showing curve lies on cylinder

1. What is multivariable calculus and how is it related to cylinders?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one variable. It involves studying the properties of functions and their derivatives in multiple dimensions. Cylinders are often used in multivariable calculus to represent surfaces or volumes in three-dimensional space.

2. How can I determine if a curve lies on a cylinder?

To determine if a curve lies on a cylinder, you can use the equation of the curve and the equation of the cylinder. If the curve's equation satisfies the equation of the cylinder, then the curve lies on the cylinder. This means that the curve's points lie on the surface of the cylinder and can be traced out by a straight line parallel to the cylinder's axis.

3. What are some common issues that can arise when trying to show a curve lies on a cylinder?

Some common issues that can arise when trying to show a curve lies on a cylinder include miscalculations in the equations, incorrect assumptions about the curve or cylinder, or not considering all variables in the equations. It is important to carefully check all calculations and assumptions to ensure the accuracy of the results.

4. Can a curve lie on more than one cylinder?

Yes, a curve can lie on more than one cylinder. This can happen when the curve has multiple points that satisfy the equations of different cylinders. In this case, the curve can be considered to be a part of multiple cylinders and can be traced out by different straight lines parallel to the different cylinder axes.

5. How is multivariable calculus used in real-world applications involving cylinders?

Multivariable calculus is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science to model and analyze real-world problems involving cylinders. For example, in engineering, multivariable calculus is used to design and optimize the shape and dimensions of cylinders in structures such as bridges and towers. In physics, it is used to study the motion of objects rolling on or inside cylinders. In computer science, it is used to create realistic 3D graphics of objects, including cylinders, in video games and simulations.