Multivariable Cal, (Polar Coordinates)

In summary, the problem involves evaluating by changing to polar coordinates, specifically finding the bounds for θ and r. After sketching the given function in the xy plane and graphing additional lines, it is determined that the region of interest is a quarter of a circle with a radius of 1 centered at (1,0). The bounds for θ are 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/4 and the bounds for r are sec θ ≤ r ≤ 2cosθ.
wildleaf

Homework Statement

Evaluate by changining to polar coordinates :
#19 in this picture http://i52.tinypic.com/2ngbt5z.jpg

Homework Equations

x = cos θ
y = sin θ

r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

∫∫∫w f(x,y) dxdy
= ∫from θ1 to θ2 ∫from r1 to r2 f(cosθ, sinθ) (r dr dθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did is sketch y = (2x-x^2)^(1/2) in xy plane.

y = (2x-x^2)^(1/2)
y^2 = 2x-x^2
0 = y^2 - 2x + x^2
0 = y^2 + (x^2-2x+1) -1
1 = y^2 + (x-1)^2 ====> circle with radius one, centered around (1,0).

I also graphed y=0, x=1, and x=2. We know that we want the region between x=1 and x=2, and it is in postive y-axis due to y = 0. so we have a quarter of a circle that we need integral. I am stuck here, I do not what the bounds for θ and r are.

I think the bounds for θ is 0 ≤ θ ≤ pi/4 but not too sure.
I have no clue how to find the r for the problem... I know it cannot be 1 ≤ r ≤ 2.

I know how to change the given function into polar but I need help finding the bounds, if someone can help me out, please, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Im wondering if you should do a change of variables on that circle so you can get it centered on the origin, Because that radius will be tricky to deal with.

I got the bounds for this, just a min ago.
it will be 0 ≤ θ ≤ pi/4 and sec θ ≤ r ≤ 2cosθ.
thanks anways.

oh ok, you those bounds look good that's what I got too .

Related to Multivariable Cal, (Polar Coordinates)

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way to represent points in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance from the origin and an angle measured from a reference direction.

2. How are polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a distance and angle to locate a point, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y values. Polar coordinates are also more useful for representing curves and circles.

3. How do you convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the equations x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, where r is the distance and θ is the angle. To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the equations r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = arctan(y/x).

4. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, astronomy, and engineering to represent the position and movement of objects. They are also used in navigation and mapping systems.

5. How are multivariable calculus and polar coordinates related?

Polar coordinates are often used in multivariable calculus to represent and solve problems involving curves and surfaces in two or three dimensions. They are also used to simplify and visualize complex mathematical concepts.