Multipole Expansion Homework: Invariance w/ Orthogonal Rotation

In summary, the conversation is about determining the invariance of a multipole moment expansion given the multipole moment of a mass distribution. The homework assignment involves explicitly showing how coordinates transform under an orthogonal rotation, specifically in the xy-plane, for an expansion of any multipole term. The link provided in the homework contains a similar example for a translation, but the task at hand requires showing the transformation for a rotation of the basis.
xlotox

Homework Statement

Given the multipole moment of the mass distribution how would I go about determining that the multipole moment expansion is invariant. I

Homework Equations

http://cohengroup.ccmr.cornell.edu/courses/phys3327/HW2/hw2.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to explicitly show how the coordinates transform over an orthogonal rotation. I'm not sure how to do this part explicitly and for an expansion of any multipole term. The link to EX 2.2 is similar to what I'm asking but instead of a translation I need to show for a rotation of the basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is done by showing how the coordinates transform under a rotation in the xy-plane. I'm not sure how to go about doing this for an arbitrary multipole moment.

Related to Multipole Expansion Homework: Invariance w/ Orthogonal Rotation

1. What is the purpose of Multipole Expansion in physics?

Multipole Expansion is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of a physical system in terms of its multipole moments. These moments are a measure of the distribution of charge or mass within the system, and can help in understanding the overall structure and properties of the system.

2. How does Invariance with Orthogonal Rotation play a role in Multipole Expansion?

Invariance with Orthogonal Rotation refers to the idea that the multipole moments of a system remain unchanged under rotations of the coordinate axes. This property allows us to simplify the calculations involved in Multipole Expansion and make the results more generalizable.

3. What is the relationship between Multipole Expansion and the electric potential of a system?

Multipole Expansion can be used to express the electric potential of a system as a sum of terms involving the multipole moments. This allows us to approximate the potential of a complex system using only a few terms, making calculations more manageable.

4. Can Multipole Expansion be used for systems with non-spherical symmetry?

Yes, Multipole Expansion can be used for systems with any type of symmetry, including non-spherical symmetry. In these cases, the multipole moments may have more complex expressions, but the overall concept and calculations remain the same.

5. What are some real-world applications of Multipole Expansion?

Multipole Expansion has many applications in physics, including in the study of electromagnetic fields, gravitational fields, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in various technologies such as satellite navigation, MRI imaging, and particle accelerators.