Multiplication of Laurent Series

In summary, the problem asks for the Laurent series of the function f(z) = \frac{z}{{(2z - 1)(\frac{2}{z} - 1)}} and whether the series converges. The poles of the function are found to be z = 1/2 and z = 2 (and infinite). By rewriting f(z) and finding the first Laurent series for each term, it is determined that the series diverges. Looking for the second Laurent series (1/2 < |z| < 2), it is found that one of the series is all of negative powers and the other is all of positive powers. The question is whether the powers of z and 2 can be
libelec

Homework Statement

Find the expression of the Laurent series for [tex]f(z) = \frac{z}{{(2z - 1)(\frac{2}{z} - 1)}}[/tex] so that [tex]\sum\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {{a_n}} \[/tex] converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I find that z = 1/2 and z = 2 (and infinite) are poles of the function f. Then, I can rewrite [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{{(2z - 1)(2 - z)}}[/tex] since it doesn't change anything in terms of poles (is this right?). After that, I calculate the first Laurent series for [tex]\frac{1}{{(2z - 1)}}[/tex] and for [tex]\frac{1}{{(2 - z)}}[/tex] (the one for |z| < 1/2) and I find that [tex]f(z) = - \frac{1}{2}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {{2^n}{z^n}} \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{{2^n}}}} [/tex]. Using the Cauchy product rule, I find that an has an expression for even powers and another for odd powers. Therefore, it diverges (right?)

I look for the second Laurent series (1/2 < |z| < 2). The expression of [tex]\frac{1}{{(2 - z)}}[/tex] is the same, but I have to change the other one. I find that [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{{4z}}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{1}{{{2^n}{z^n}}}} \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{z^n}}}{{{2^n}}}} [/tex].

Now, one of the series is all of negative powers and the other one of positive powers. Even more, they have the same powers in ||. My question is, can I just simplify the powers of z and the powers of 2? Or can I use the Cauchy product rule?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Up...

Does anybody have any ideas?

Related to Multiplication of Laurent Series

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical representation of a complex function that is expanded as an infinite sum of powers of a variable, including negative powers.

2. How is multiplication of Laurent series performed?

Multiplication of Laurent series is done by multiplying the coefficients of the series and adding the exponents of the variable.

3. What is the difference between multiplication of Laurent series and regular polynomial multiplication?

Regular polynomial multiplication involves multiplying terms with the same powers of the variable, while multiplication of Laurent series also considers terms with negative powers of the variable.

4. Can any complex function be represented by a Laurent series?

Yes, any complex function that is analytic (i.e. has a continuous derivative) can be represented by a Laurent series.

5. Are there any applications of Laurent series in real-world problems?

Yes, Laurent series are commonly used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena and solve differential equations. They are also used in signal processing and image analysis.