Multiplication of ladder-operators

By the commutation relation ##[\hat{a}, \hat{a}^\dagger] = 1##, you can show that ##\hat{N} \hat{a} = \hat{a} (\hat{N} - 1)## and ##\hat{N} \hat{a}^\dagger = \hat{a}^\dagger (\hat{N} + 1)##.In summary, the calculation for ##(\hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger)^2## using the commutation relation ##[\hat{a}, \hat{a}^\dagger] = 1## yields the simplified expression ##\hat{a}^\
Philip Land
Hi!

When calculating ##(\hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger})^2## i get ##\hat{a} \hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}^{\dagger}## which is perfectly fine.

But how do I end up with the ultimate simplified expression $$\hat{ a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} + \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat_{a} + 2\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat_{a} + 2 = N^2 + 3 N +1 $$

Are there any definitions, rules or framework I can use to carry out these calculations to make my life easier or do I simply need to write out the definitions of ## \hat{a}^{\dagger}## and ##\hat{a}## and tediously recognize each term?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ##(\hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger)^2 = \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger##, not ##\hat{a} \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger##. If you want to write it in terms of ##\hat{N}##, use ##\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} = \hat{N}## and ##\hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger = \hat{N} + 1##. So you have:

##(\hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger)^2 = (\hat{N} + 1)^2 = \hat{N}^2 + 2 \hat{N} + 1##

Likes vanhees71

Related to Multiplication of ladder-operators

1. What is the concept of multiplication of ladder-operators?

The concept of multiplication of ladder-operators is a mathematical operation in quantum mechanics that involves multiplying two or more operators together to create a new operator. This new operator can then be used to describe the behavior of a quantum system.

2. How is multiplication of ladder-operators used in quantum mechanics?

Multiplication of ladder-operators is used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels and transitions of a quantum system. By multiplying the creation and annihilation operators, the resulting operator can be used to find the probability of an energy transition between two states.

3. What are the properties of multiplication of ladder-operators?

The properties of multiplication of ladder-operators include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. These properties allow for the simplification of complex equations and the manipulation of operators to describe the behavior of a quantum system.

4. Can multiplication of ladder-operators be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, multiplication of ladder-operators can be applied to other mathematical concepts such as matrix multiplication. In fact, the concept of ladder-operators was originally developed in the context of matrix mechanics before being applied to quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of multiplication of ladder-operators?

One limitation of multiplication of ladder-operators is that it can only be used for systems with discrete energy levels. It cannot be applied to systems with continuous energy spectra. Additionally, the resulting operator from multiplication may not always be Hermitian, which can cause issues in certain calculations.