Multiplication of Fractions (Destiny C Sweet's Question on Facebook)

In summary, to solve the mixed number multiplication problem, we converted the mixed fractions into improper fractions, multiplied them, and then converted the resulting improper fraction back into a mixed fraction. The final answer is 45 and 1/8.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Destiny C Sweet on Facebook writes:

Can someone take a look at this mixed number multiplication problem below... and explain to me how they got this answer? When you work the problem out find the product and reduce to the lowest terms...

\[4\frac{3}{4}\times 9\frac{4}{8}=45\frac{1}{8}\]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Destiny C Sweet on Facebook writes:

Can someone take a look at this mixed number multiplication problem below... and explain to me how they got this answer? When you work the problem out find the product and reduce to the lowest terms...

\[4\frac{3}{4}\times 9\frac{4}{8}=45\frac{1}{8}\]

Hi Destiny, :)

First we convert the mixed fractions into improper fractions and then do the multiplication. Finally we convert the resulting improper fraction into a mixed fraction. For learn how to convert mixed fractions into improper fractions you might find >>this<< helpful.

\begin{eqnarray}

4\frac{3}{4}\times 9\frac{4}{8}&=&4\frac{3}{4}\times 9\frac{1}{2}\\

&=&\frac{19}{4}\times\frac{19}{2}\\

&=&\frac{361}{8}\\

&=&45\frac{1}{8}

\end{eqnarray}

Related to Multiplication of Fractions (Destiny C Sweet's Question on Facebook)

1. How do I multiply fractions?

Multiplying fractions is similar to multiplying whole numbers. First, multiply the numerators (top numbers) together. Then, multiply the denominators (bottom numbers) together. Finally, simplify the resulting fraction if needed.

2. Can I multiply fractions with different denominators?

Yes, you can multiply fractions with different denominators. First, find the lowest common denominator (LCD) by finding the smallest number that both denominators can divide into evenly. Then, convert each fraction to an equivalent one with the LCD as the denominator. Finally, follow the steps for multiplying fractions as usual.

3. What is the rule for multiplying mixed numbers?

To multiply mixed numbers, first convert them to improper fractions by multiplying the whole number by the denominator and adding the numerator. Then, follow the steps for multiplying fractions as usual. Finally, convert the resulting improper fraction back to a mixed number if needed.

4. How do I check my answer when multiplying fractions?

You can check your answer by simplifying the resulting fraction and comparing it to the original fractions. If they are equivalent, then your answer is correct. You can also convert the fractions to decimals and multiply them to see if you get the same result.

5. Can I use the shortcut of cancelling out common factors when multiplying fractions?

Yes, you can use the shortcut of cancelling out common factors when multiplying fractions. This can make the calculation easier and result in a simpler answer. However, it is important to make sure that you are cancelling out factors that are common to both the numerator and denominator of each fraction.