Multiple Linear Regression - Hypothesis Testing

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the values for a hypothesis testing problem and the use of tables or calculators. The method for finding a bound for the p-value is explained, as well as the use of a package to get a precise result. The conversation also includes a question about another problem and the correct reasoning for determining the p-value. Finally, the use of a calculator is mentioned as an alternative method.
Phox

Homework Statement

I'm looking through some example problems that my professor posted and this bit doesn't make sense

2up4bqf.png

How do you come up with the values underlined?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Upon researching it, I find that you should use α/2 for both of these values. So I'm not sure what's going on here

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't calculate the p-value exactly here, the best you can do is find a bound for it. The number of degrees of freedom is fixed at 5, so you look in the lower tail of the appropriate t-distribution, for 5 degrees of freedom, until you find two tabled values that bracket your calculated value. They just happen to be for 10% and 25%. This tells you that whatever the real p-value is, it is not smaller than 10%, so you don't reject.

If your calculated value had fallen as
[tex]
-t_{0.025} < t < -t_{0.05}
[/tex]

you would know the p-value is smaller than 5%, so less than [itex] \alpha = 0.05 [/itex], so you would reject.

statdad said:
You can't calculate the p-value exactly here, the best you can do is find a bound for it. The number of degrees of freedom is fixed at 5, so you look in the lower tail of the appropriate t-distribution, for 5 degrees of freedom, until you find two tabled values that bracket your calculated value. They just happen to be for 10% and 25%. This tells you that whatever the real p-value is, it is not smaller than 10%, so you don't reject.

[tex]
[/tex]

you would know the p-value is smaller than 5%, so less than [itex] \alpha = 0.05 [/itex], so you would reject.

Or, you could use a package such as Maple's 'stats' facility to get a precise result:
stats[statevalf,cdf,studentst[5]](-1.1326);
0.1543773607 <----- output
So, the p value is about 0.154.

statdad said:

[tex]
[/tex]

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I normally just try to stay away from tables and use my ti-89 instead.For another problem, same concept:

I'm testing B3 = 0 vs b3 =/= 0 at 5% level of significance. I found a test statistic of -1.516. tistat.tcdf(-∞, -1.516, 12) = .0777. Since it's two tailed I multiply this by 2: 2(.0777) = .1554. Since .1554 > .05 I do not reject the null hypothesis. Correct? The null hypothesis is more likely than 5%

I guess I could have also done 1 - tistat.tcdf(-1.516, 1.516, 12)

I didn't check your ti determined p-value, but your reasoning is correct (especially since the one-sided p-value would already be larger than 5%).

Related to Multiple Linear Regression - Hypothesis Testing

1. What is multiple linear regression?

Multiple linear regression is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable and two or more independent variables. It is used to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

2. What is the purpose of multiple linear regression?

The purpose of multiple linear regression is to determine the extent to which the independent variables influence the dependent variable. It also helps in identifying the strength and direction of the relationships between the variables.

3. How do you perform hypothesis testing in multiple linear regression?

In multiple linear regression, hypothesis testing is performed by calculating the p-value for each independent variable. The p-value is compared to a predetermined significance level (usually 0.05) to determine if the relationship between the independent variable and dependent variable is statistically significant.

4. What is the difference between simple linear regression and multiple linear regression?

Simple linear regression involves a single independent variable and one dependent variable, while multiple linear regression involves two or more independent variables and one dependent variable. Additionally, the relationship between the variables in simple linear regression is represented by a straight line, while in multiple linear regression, it is represented by a plane or hyperplane.

5. What are the assumptions of multiple linear regression?

The main assumptions of multiple linear regression include linearity, independence of errors, homoscedasticity (equal variance), and normality of errors. These assumptions must be met in order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the regression model.