Multiple Integrals: Find Volume Bounded by Cylinders and Planes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume bounded by the cylinders x^2+y^2=1 and the planes y=z, x=0, z=0 in the first octant. The boundaries for the double integral are determined and the correct integral is found to be the integral of ydy over the given boundaries. There is a clarification made regarding the square root in the integral.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following. Supposed I am asked to find the volume bounded by the cylinders x^2+y^2=1 and the planes y = z, x = 0, z = 0 in the first octant.

Homework Equations

So this is what I tried to do. The boundaries should be: x is between 0 and 1 and y is between the squareroot of (1-x^2) and 0, or you can have y is between 0 and 1 and x is between the squareroot of (1-y^2) and 0. So wouldn't the double integral be the integral of

the squareroot of 1-x^2dydx, where you first evaluate it from 0 to the squareroot of (1-x^2), and then you evaluate it again from 0 to 1? Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are in the first octant, yes, x runs between 0 and 1. For each x, then y runs from 0 up to the circle, [itex]y= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Finally, for each x and y, z runs from 0 up to the plane z= y. The volume is given by
[tex]\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y=0}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\int_{z=0}^y dzdydx= \int_{x=0}^1\int_{y=0}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}y dydx[/itex]
No, that is NOT [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}dydx[/itex]! You don't get the square root until after integrating with respect to y- and then, since the integral of ydy will involve y2, you don't really have a square root to integrate with respect to x!

Oh I see now! Thanks!

Related to Multiple Integrals: Find Volume Bounded by Cylinders and Planes

1. What is a multiple integral?

A multiple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume, area, or other quantities of a multi-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over multiple variables, such as x, y, and z.

2. How do I find the volume bounded by cylinders and planes?

To find the volume bounded by cylinders and planes, you will need to set up a multiple integral using the appropriate equations for each surface. The boundaries of the integral will be determined by the intersections of the cylinders and planes. Once the integral is set up, you can then solve it using integration techniques.

3. What are the steps to solve a multiple integral?

The steps to solve a multiple integral include: 1) setting up the integral by determining the limits of integration, 2) evaluating the integral using integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, 3) simplifying the integral by using algebraic manipulation, and 4) solving for the final answer.

4. Can I use multiple integrals to find the volume of irregular shapes?

Yes, multiple integrals can be used to find the volume of irregular shapes. This is because the integral allows you to break down the shape into smaller, simpler shapes that can be easily integrated. By summing up the volumes of these smaller shapes, you can find the total volume of the irregular shape.

5. Are there any limitations to using multiple integrals to find volume?

While multiple integrals are a powerful tool for finding volume, there are some limitations. They may not be suitable for finding volume in highly complex or irregular shapes. In addition, the process of setting up and solving the integral can be tedious and time-consuming, especially for higher dimensional shapes.