Multi-variable integration with a e^u

In summary, the task is to find the mass of a rectangular box with dimensions 0<=x<=1, 0<=y<=2, and 0<=z<=1, using the density function rho(x,y,z)=ze^(x+y). The method used is a "u" substitution, with u=x+y, and the resulting integral is (1/2)e^(x+y)dydx. The range of the integral with respect to y is changed by using the equation e^(x+y)=e^x*e^y.
MasterWu77

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the rectangular box B where B is the box determined by
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 2, and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] z [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, and with density function [tex]\rho[/tex] ( x, y, z ) = z e^{x+y}.

Homework Equations

"u" substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I've taken the first integral with respect to dz correctly which led me to this integral

[tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to 1 [tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to 2 (1/2)e^(x+y) dy dx

I know i need to use a "u" substitution and have u=x+y but I'm unsure of how that changes the range of the integral with respect to y. if my equation is unclear please let me know. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
write out the triple integral and use
[tex] e^{x+y} = e^x e^y [/tex]

ah ok i understand how that works out! thank you! greatly appreciated!

Related to Multi-variable integration with a e^u

1. What is multi-variable integration with e^u?

Multi-variable integration with e^u is a mathematical technique used to find the integral of a function with multiple variables, where one of the variables is raised to the power of e (Euler's number).

2. How is multi-variable integration with e^u different from regular integration?

Multi-variable integration with e^u involves integrating a function that has multiple variables, while regular integration deals with finding the area under a curve of a single variable function.

3. What is the purpose of using e^u in multi-variable integration?

The use of e^u in multi-variable integration allows for the integration of more complex functions that cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques. It also allows for the integration of functions with multiple variables, providing a more accurate representation of the function.

4. What are the steps for performing multi-variable integration with e^u?

The steps for performing multi-variable integration with e^u are:1. Identify the variables and constants in the function.2. Separate the function into smaller parts using algebraic manipulation.3. Use the rules of integration, such as the power rule and substitution, to integrate each part.4. Combine the integrated parts to find the final solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of multi-variable integration with e^u?

Multi-variable integration with e^u is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving multiple variables. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile in physics, optimize the design of a bridge in engineering, or determine the optimal pricing of products in economics.