Muffin's GCSE Additional Maths Moments Question (from YAnswers)

• MHB
  • Thread starter CaptainBlack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcse Moments
In summary: Since the reaction forces must sum to the total load (the two painters and the weight of the plank acting at the centre of mass of the plank) which is \(160g = 1569.6 \, {\rm{N}}\) (taking \(g\) to be \(9.81\, {\rm{m/s^2}}\) ) your answer is not impossible so far (using \(g=9.8\, {\rm{m/s^2}}\) we have exact agreement).
CaptainBlack
Two painters of mass 50kg and 70 kg stand on a uniform horizontal plank ABCDEFG of mass 40kg and length 8m.

B, C, D and E are respectively 1m, 2m, 5m and 6m from A. The 50kg painter stands at B, the 70kg painter at D and the plank's supported at C and E.

Find the reaction at each support I got the answers to be 1053.5 and 514.5 but my answer book tells me otherwise (although it has been wrong before) can someone please check this and explain where I've gone wrong please?

CB

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CaptainBlack said:
Two painters of mass 50kg and 70 kg stand on a uniform horizontal plank ABCDEFG of mass 40kg and length 8m.

B, C, D and E are respectively 1m, 2m, 5m and 6m from A. The 50kg painter stands at B, the 70kg painter at D and the plank's supported at C and E.

Find the reaction at each support I got the answers to be 1053.5 and 514.5 but my answer book tells me otherwise (although it has been wrong before) can someone please check this and explain where I've gone wrong please?

CB

Since the reaction forces must sum to the total load (the two painters and the weight of the plank acting at the centre of mass of the plank) which is \(160g = 1569.6 \, {\rm{N}}\) (taking \(g\) to be \(9.81\, {\rm{m/s^2}}\) ) your answer is not impossible so far (using \(g=9.8\, {\rm{m/s^2}}\) we have exact agreement).

You need to set up a pair of simultaneous equations under the assumption that the system is in equilibrium, the first is that the reaction forces sum to the load forces:

\(R_C+R_E = 160 g \)

The second is obtained by taking moments about some convenient point, as the system is in equilibrium these must sum to zero. A convenient point (as it eliminates one of the unknowns) is either C or E.

Taking moments about E:

\(4 R_C -2 (40 g) -5 (50 g) - 1 (70 g) =0\)

(the load forces give anti-clockwise moments and the reaction a clockwise moment, I am taking clockwise as positive here)

So:

\(R_C = 100 g\, {\rm{N}}\) ...

CB

Related to Muffin's GCSE Additional Maths Moments Question (from YAnswers)

1. What is the question about?

The question is about Muffin's GCSE Additional Maths Moments, which is a specific topic within the field of mathematics.

2. What level of difficulty is the question?

The difficulty level of the question is not specified, as it depends on the individual's understanding of the topic. However, as it is a GCSE level question, it is likely to be of medium difficulty.

3. Is it a multiple choice question?

No, the question does not mention anything about being a multiple choice question. It is likely a free response or written answer question.

4. Can you provide any context for the question?

The question does not provide any specific context or scenario. It simply mentions Muffin's GCSE Additional Maths Moments, which could refer to a specific topic or set of problems related to this topic.

5. How can I prepare for this question?

To prepare for this question, it would be helpful to review and understand the topic of Muffin's GCSE Additional Maths Moments. You can also practice similar problems and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may be asked.