MSSM Higgs Potential Homework: Get Equ. (1.70)

In summary: You can also use the expressions for ##v_1## and ##v_2## in terms of ##B\mu## and ##\beta## to write the mixed terms in terms of ##B\mu## and ##M_Z##. Use the constrains (1.70) to eliminate ##B\mu## in the expressions for the mixed terms and then use the equations in post 1 to eliminate ##v_1## and ##v_2## in those expressions. In summary, the equations (1.70) and (1.68) can be used to simplify the mass matrices.
Safinaz

Homework Statement

Hi,

I study the Higss sector of the MSSM from this review " arxiv:0503173v2", "The Higgs bosons in the Minimal Supersymmetric Model",

In Sec.: 1.2, it gives the Higgs potential by Equ. (1.60), then after acquiring the vevs and minimizing the potential to get the masses of the Higgs bosons , it yields two minimization conditions (1.70)

Homework Equations

I can not get Equ. (1.70)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I wrote the potential of the neutral components of the Higgs doublets: ## H_1,~ H_2##, as following:

$$ V_{H^0} = \bar{m}^2_1 |H^0_1|^2 + \bar{m}^2_2 |H^0_2|^2 + 2 B \mu H^0_1 H^0_2 + \frac{g_1^2+ g_2^2}{8} ( |H^0_1|^2 - |H^0_2|^2)^2.$$

Then minimized the potential
$$ \frac{\partial v }{\partial H_1^0} = \bar{m}^2_1 H^0_1 + 2 B \mu H^0_2 + \frac{g_1^2+ g_2^2}{4} ( |H^0_1|^2 - |H^0_2|^2) H^0_1=0, $$
$$ \frac{\partial v }{\partial H_2^0} = \bar{m}^2_2 H^0_2 + 2 B \mu H^0_1 -\frac{g_1^2+ g_2^2}{4} ( |H^0_1|^2 - |H^0_2|^2) H^0_2=0, $$

taking the minima Equ. (1.67), and using Equ. (1.68) and (1.61) in the reference, I got,
$$ ( \mu^2 +m_{H_1}^2) v_1 + 2 B \mu v_2 + \frac{M_z^2}{v^2} ( v_1^2 - v_2^2) v_1=0, $$
$$ ( \mu^2 +m_{H_2}^2) v_2 + 2 B \mu v_1 - \frac{M_z^2}{v^2} ( v_1^2 - v_2^2) v_2=0, $$
But then what I do to reach (1.70) ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously you can multiply the first equation by ##v_2## and subtract the 2nd multiplied by ##v_1## to solve for ##B\mu##. The opposite difference can be solved for ##\mu^2##. Then we have to eliminate ##v,v_1,v_2## in favor of expressions involving ##\beta##. It might be convenient to use (1.68) and (1.69) to express ##v_2 = v_1 \tan\beta##, ##v^2=v_1^2 (1+\tan^2\beta)##. Then the ##v_1## dependence cancels in the expressions for ##B\mu## ##\mu^2##, which are functions of ##\beta## and the masses.

Thanks, I got it..

Hi,

I preferred to continue in the same thread because I have a question in the same section of the referred reference:

Homework Equations

I can't get the mass matrices of the cp even Higgs scalars nor the cp odd, as Equ. (1.75) and (1.76)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I got the first element in the mass matrix of the cp even Higgs by:

## \frac{\partial V_H}{\partial H_1^0 \partial H_1^0} = ( \mu^2 + m_{H_1}^2 ) + \frac{3}{2} M_z^2 \cos^2 \beta ## ,

Now to get (1.75 ) matrix , at which this first term contains ##\bar{m_3}^2 ## or ## B\mu ## - Equ. (1.61)- , I tried to use the constrains (1.70 ), but did not reach it..

The mixed terms like ## \frac{\partial V_H}{\partial H_1^0 \partial H_2^0} ## are fine with me..

Bests.

Safinaz said:
Hi,

I got the first element in the mass matrix of the cp even Higgs by:

## \frac{\partial V_H}{\partial H_1^0 \partial H_1^0} = ( \mu^2 + m_{H_1}^2 ) + \frac{3}{2} M_z^2 \cos^2 \beta ## ,

Now to get (1.75 ) matrix , at which this first term contains ##\bar{m_3}^2 ## or ## B\mu ## - Equ. (1.61)- , I tried to use the constrains (1.70 ), but did not reach it..

The mixed terms like ## \frac{\partial V_H}{\partial H_1^0 \partial H_2^0} ## are fine with me..

You should be able to use the equations that you have in post 1 for ##\mu^2 + m_{H_{1,2}}^2## to write that in terms of ##B\mu## and ##M_Z## alone.

Related to MSSM Higgs Potential Homework: Get Equ. (1.70)

1. What is MSSM Higgs Potential?

MSSM Higgs Potential refers to the mathematical expression that describes the energy of the Higgs field in the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM). It is an important concept in understanding the behavior and properties of the Higgs field in particle physics.

2. How is the MSSM Higgs Potential calculated?

The MSSM Higgs Potential is calculated using a combination of the Higgs field and other fields in the MSSM. This is done by solving a set of equations known as the Higgs potential equations, which take into account the interactions between the different fields.

3. What is the significance of the MSSM Higgs Potential?

The MSSM Higgs Potential is significant because it helps explain the mechanism of electroweak symmetry breaking, which gives particles their mass. It also provides insight into the stability of the Higgs field and its interactions with other particles.

4. How does the MSSM Higgs Potential affect particle interactions?

The MSSM Higgs Potential plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles in the MSSM. It affects the masses of particles, their couplings to the Higgs field, and the strength of their interactions with each other.

5. What are the implications of the MSSM Higgs Potential for theoretical physics?

The MSSM Higgs Potential has important implications for theoretical physics, as it is a key component of the MSSM, which is a popular extension of the Standard Model. Understanding the properties and behavior of the Higgs field is crucial for developing a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in our universe.