Non-relativistic complex scalar field

In summary, the problem involves studying the spontaneous symmetry breaking phenomenon in a non-relativistic complex scalar field with a temperature of T=0. The Lagrangian for this field includes a non-relativistic term and a term involving the mass, coupling strength, and chemical potential. The vacuum expectation value for the field is derived and used to analyze fluctuations around the ground state. The leading order for the effective field theory of the phase, theta, is determined and the dispersion relation for theta is derived. The remaining step involves integrating the equation of motion for h(x) with its degrees of freedom in order to eliminate it. The Euler-Lagrange equation is used to calculate the equation of motion, but the integration step is still unclear. Any
Ken Gallock
This is spontaneous symmetry breaking problem.

1. Homework Statement

Temperature is ##T=0##.
For one component complex scalar field ##\phi##, non-relativistic Lagrangian can be written as
$$
\mathcal{L}_{NR}=\varphi^* \Big( i\partial_t + \dfrac{\nabla^2}{2m} \Big)\varphi - g(|\varphi|^2-\bar{n})^2+const.
$$
where ##\varphi## is non-relativistic complex scalar field, ##g## is composed of mass ##m## and coupling strength ##\lambda##, and ##\bar{n}## is ##\frac{\mu}{2g}## (##\mu## is chemical potential).
Vacuum expectation value can be calculated by
$$
\dfrac{d}{d\varphi}\Big[ g(|\varphi|^2-\bar{n})^2 \Big]=0\\

\therefore \langle |\varphi| \rangle=\sqrt{\bar{n}}e^{i\theta}.
$$
Let's think of fluctuation around the ground state:
$$
\varphi(x)=\Big[ \sqrt{\bar{n}}+h(x) \Big] e^{i\theta(x)} . ~~~(h(x)\ll \sqrt{\bar{n}})
$$
Use equation of motion of ##h(x)## and integrate with degrees of freedom of ##h(x)##, so that we can eliminate ##h##. Then, write the leading order for effective field theory of ##\theta## and derive dispersion relation of ##\theta##.

Homework Equations

Lagrangian for (relativistic) complex scalar field is
$$
\mathcal{L}=\partial_\mu \phi (\partial^\mu \phi)^* - m^2|\phi|^2-\lambda|\phi|^4.
$$
By taking non-relativistic limit, we get
$$
\phi(x)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2m}}e^{-imt}\varphi(t,x).
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I have no idea what "Use equation of motion of ##h(x)## and integrate with degrees of freedom of ##h(x)##, so that we can eliminate ##h## " part means.
I guess I can handle with "write the leading order for effective field theory of ##\theta## and derive dispersion relation of ##\theta##" part, but I don't know how to eliminate ##h##.
I thought 'equation of motion' part was about Euler-Lagrange equation. I calculated and got the result:
$$
i\partial_t \varphi=-\dfrac{\nabla^2}{2m}\varphi+2g(|\varphi|^2-\bar{n})\varphi.
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
But I could not figure out how to integrate with degrees of freedom of ##h(x)##.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Related to Non-relativistic complex scalar field

1. What is a non-relativistic complex scalar field?

A non-relativistic complex scalar field is a mathematical construct used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a non-relativistic, or slow-moving, environment. It is represented by a complex-valued function that assigns a value to each point in space and time.

2. How is a non-relativistic complex scalar field different from a relativistic one?

The main difference between a non-relativistic and a relativistic complex scalar field is that the latter takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. Non-relativistic fields are simpler and do not require these considerations.

3. What are some real-world applications of non-relativistic complex scalar fields?

Non-relativistic complex scalar fields are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons and protons. They are also used in condensed matter physics to model the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

4. How do non-relativistic complex scalar fields relate to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics?

Non-relativistic complex scalar fields are used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. This is known as the wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both wave and particle-like properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using non-relativistic complex scalar fields?

Non-relativistic complex scalar fields are limited in their ability to accurately describe particles moving at high speeds, as they do not take into account the effects of special relativity. They are also unable to describe certain phenomena, such as the creation and annihilation of particles, which require a relativistic approach.