MS in scientific computing or statistics from online courses

In summary, a graduate certificate in statistics from a reputable school is beneficial, but employers may be less likely to respect a degree if it is only online-based.
geologist
I find both subjects interesting, to the point where every night after putting the kids to bed, I spend a few hours self-studying, but I wonder if going back for a master's degree would be worth the effort. I know that if I want to do professional work in either of these two subjects I'll need to eventually get something on paper. Are master's programs worth the effort to employers if it's primarily online based? I know that some online based programs don't have the word online on the diploma. Would a graduate certificate in statistics be useful for getting into the field?

I finished a MS in geology and currently work in environmental consulting. I also know geographic information systems (GIS) and plan on going through several online classes(edx, udemy, coursera, udacity)/books, focusing on topics of GIS, computer science (mainly python for now, I'll tackle R later this year), math (calculus, linear algebra) and various levels of statistics.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the degree is from a reputable school, I have never noticed any decreased respect for a degree just because it was online. There are now a lot of on-line degree programs, although there may be some requirement to take some courses at the school. Many people who work in technical companies get help from the company they work at (financial, work schedule, computer access, etc.). My opinion is that a student is at a disadvantage when he takes a course online because there is so much information that is easier to get from conversations with other students. That being said, if you have other sources of information (like this forum, people at work, friends who know the subject, etc.) then you can minimize the disadvantage.

PS. I have heard that a Masters Degree pays for itself. I know people who have gotten them while they worked full time and raised children. I have great respect for them because I know that it is very hard. I don't think that I could do it.

PPS. I think that your choice of subjects (Python programming, R, etc.) that you are studying will be very beneficial in many jobs regardless of whether you get a degree.

Likes geologist
I'm not particularly familiar with too many Masters programs in statistics (I believe Johns Hopkins offers a MS in statistics online, but am not positive about this), but I concur with @FactChecker -- so long as the degree is from a reputable school, I don't see any particular issue in terms of respect for the degree itself because it was online.

I will concur that coursework through edX, Udemy, Coursera, or Udacity are excellent (I've taken refresher courses on Coursera myself), and the choice of topics you are taking a great head start in terms of direction you wish to take. Combined with your background in geology and environmental consulting and knowledge of GIS, I think you are very well-positioned to move into statistics, as spatial statistics (among many other areas in the field) are widely used in geology/earth sciences. I've personally known statisticians who started out in geology, so this is far from unusual.

Likes geologist and FactChecker
Thanks for the input.

StatGuy2000 said:
I'm not particularly familiar with too many Masters programs in statistics (I believe Johns Hopkins offers a MS in statistics online, but am not positive about this), but I concur with @FactChecker -- so long as the degree is from a reputable school, I don't see any particular issue in terms of respect for the degree itself because it was online.

I will concur that coursework through edX, Udemy, Coursera, or Udacity are excellent (I've taken refresher courses on Coursera myself), and the choice of topics you are taking a great head start in terms of direction you wish to take. Combined with your background in geology and environmental consulting and knowledge of GIS, I think you are very well-positioned to move into statistics, as spatial statistics (among many other areas in the field) are widely used in geology/earth sciences. I've personally known statisticians who started out in geology, so this is far from unusual.

I've enjoyed my self-study to the point that I look forward to studying after putting the kids to sleep (currently going through calculus). Edx, Udemy, Coursera and Udacity are all great, but I've noticed that to be accepted for even a graduate certificate in statistics (Colorado State University has an online grad certificate), I need official credits in Calculus and Linear Algebra (which could be done with evening classes at the local universities/colleges or online a university that offers it).

My best bet is probably to self-study and work on quantitative projects within my field (applying statistics toward environmental data which I've done some of e.g. calculating the UCL for a sample of soil data and/or getting into groundwater modeling projects), which wouldn't require going back to school. If I could redo college, I'd get a BS in math or statistics with minor in geology, then a MS in geology. I regret not taking more quantitative classes in college.

Related to MS in scientific computing or statistics from online courses

1. What is an MS in Scientific Computing or Statistics from Online Courses?

An MS in Scientific Computing or Statistics from Online Courses is a graduate degree program that focuses on utilizing computational methods and statistical techniques to solve scientific and research-based problems. This program is typically offered through online courses, meaning students can complete the coursework remotely.

2. What can I expect to learn in an MS in Scientific Computing or Statistics from Online Courses?

Students in this program will learn advanced computational and statistical methods, as well as how to apply them to various scientific and research fields. They will also gain skills in data analysis, programming languages, and data visualization techniques.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an MS in Scientific Computing or Statistics from Online Courses?

Some potential benefits of pursuing this degree include the flexibility of online learning, the opportunity to gain advanced skills in computational and statistical methods, and the potential for career advancement in fields such as data science, research, and academia.

4. Are there any prerequisites for an MS in Scientific Computing or Statistics from Online Courses?

Each program may have different prerequisites, but most will require a strong background in mathematics and statistics, as well as some programming experience. Some programs may also require specific undergraduate coursework in related fields.

5. What are the job prospects for graduates with an MS in Scientific Computing or Statistics from Online Courses?

Graduates from this program may have a variety of career options, including roles in data analysis, research, and academia. With the increasing demand for data-driven decision making in various industries, there may be a growing need for professionals with skills in scientific computing and statistics.