Moving object on a moving slope

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework problem where a mass is sliding down a slope that is moving in the opposite direction. The forces affecting the mass and the slope are discussed, as well as the possibility of using a wedge to represent the moving slope. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a free body diagram to better understand the problem.
mudkipzs

Homework Statement

Hello
Our teacher asked us today,to figure out,what the effect would be if the generic slope we use in most exercises would move too.That means,a mass m is sliding downwards to the right from a slope that is moving to the left.
So,I don't want you guys to solve my home work for me,but I hoped to find here some keywords for things I have to look up.I honestly don't know what to google to solve this problem.
Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
what kind of effect would you want? observations? or identify all forces? make it clear.

cheah10 said:
what kind of effect would you want? observations? or identify all forces? make it clear.
hello cheah10!
She didn't specify,would you kindly provide me with keywords for both?thanks!

If you are asking for the affecting forces ,,
They will be as the following :
the components of the gravitational force acting on the mass + the normal force on the mass from the moving slope + the frictional force .
The resultant acceleration of the net forces is measured relatively to the movement of the moving slope if it goes with an acceleration , if the moving slope has a constant speed , "no acceleration" the resultant acceleration might be measured like the static slope.

I think that might be a reasonable intuition but I'm not very sure.

ok, I'll guide you from here. 1st, tell me, what are all the forces you can identify? Maybe it's better if you draw a free body diagram for both the slope and the mass, and upload it here.

It depends why the slope is moving. I would guess that the idea is the slope consists of a wedge which can slide on surface of a different angle (usually horizontal). It might help to start with an extreme case. What if the wedge is much lighter than the mass on it and there's very little friction?

haruspex said:
It depends why the slope is moving. I would guess that the idea is the slope consists of a wedge which can slide on surface of a different angle (usually horizontal). It might help to start with an extreme case. What if the wedge is much lighter than the mass on it and there's very little friction?

I understood that the slope is moving in a direction against to the motion of the object moving on it. not in a vertical motion , Where in the question did he specify that ?

|Thanks|

Maged Saeed said:
I understood that the slope is moving in a direction against to the motion of the object moving on it. not in a vertical motion ,
I didn't suggest the wedge was moving purely vertically. As I wrote, it's probably to be considered as moving horizontally, but it could be more general.
As for 'against', it depends what you mean by that. In most such problems, the wedge is moving only because of the normal force from the mass. So, yes, it moves in the opposite direction to the mass's horizontal motion, but I wouldn't describe that as 'against' it.

Likes Maged Saeed

Related to Moving object on a moving slope

1. How does the slope of a surface affect the movement of objects on it?

The slope of a surface can greatly impact the movement of objects on it. A steeper slope will cause objects to accelerate faster and move with greater velocity, while a flatter slope will result in slower movement. This is due to the influence of gravity on the object's motion.

2. What is the relationship between an object's mass and its movement on a slope?

An object's mass does not directly affect its movement on a slope. However, an object with greater mass will require more force to move it up a slope compared to an object with less mass. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is directly proportional to its mass.

3. How does friction play a role in the movement of objects on a slope?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it can have a significant impact on objects moving on a slope. Friction between the surface and the object can cause it to slow down or even come to a stop. The steeper the slope, the greater the friction and the more it will affect the object's movement.

4. Can an object ever move at a constant speed on a slope?

In theory, an object can move at a constant speed on a slope if there is no external force acting on it, such as friction or air resistance. However, in real-world situations, it is unlikely for an object to maintain a constant speed on a slope due to the influence of external forces.

5. How can the angle of the slope affect the trajectory of a moving object?

The angle of the slope can greatly affect the trajectory of a moving object. A steeper slope will cause the object to travel in a more vertical trajectory, while a flatter slope will result in a more horizontal trajectory. This is due to the influence of gravity on the object's motion.