Clarification for inclined plane object, force components

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a frictionless slope and a box sliding down it. The box has an unknown mass and the slope has an angle of 35 degrees. The task is to calculate the absolute value of the acceleration of the box as it slides down the slope. This involves using equations such as F=ma and trigonometric functions. The conversation also touches on concepts like normal force and the components of gravity, and the confusion and questions around these concepts. The summary concludes with the understanding that the box does not accelerate perpendicular to the slope due to the cancellation of the normal force and the component of gravity in that direction.
late347

Homework Statement

there is a frictinless slope. And there is a box sliding down the slope.
let's say that the slope slides from right, towards the down and left.

object's mass is unknown value m.

angle of the slope is 35deg.

calculate the absolute value of the acceleration that the box has when it slides along the slope.

Homework Equations

F=ma
trigonometric functions

The Attempt at a Solution

I will first draw some pictures and then ask about clarification, because I had some unresolved questions that I didn't have time to ask the teacher. I think my teacher thought those issues were maybe obvious to others in the class, but not to me, so I was also little bit embarrassed to ask.

for me, the physics- based rationale was a little bit hazy. I know how to calculate angles using trigonometry and geometry, though.

Using my earlier physics knowledge. I think that gravity somehow pulls the box sliding across the ramp. (gut feeling). I suppose, the more technical requirement in that case would be to calculate the acceleration and Fnet of the box, in the direction of being parallel to the ramp.

sin35= Fnet/ G
G*sin35= Fnet
G*sin35=ma
mg*sin35=ma | /m
g*sin35 = a
a = 5.62 m/s^2
My understanding was basically that:

1.)In the same "axis", in which the Normal force resides. There is no accelerations and the net force in this axis is zero. Because, the object stays flat upon the slope, whilst it slides down across the surface of the slope. This is a common sense understanding I suppose.2,) Does this mean that S as noted in the picture, is esseentially the counter vector to the Normal force ? [ one could calculate (-1)*(normal force vector) ]

3.) Is S itself a vector and a force?
4.) What is the definition of the S length in the picture? The Mystery length S is still a little bit of a mystery to me.

5.) I'm not sure I understand the rationale why the length of Fnet, must by necessity, be one side of the triangle, and also such that the second side of the triangle must be the length of normal force. The hypotenuse would be the gravity, which I do understand,however. Because I suppose in this model the gravity is always downward.

6.) can any force vector like gravity, always be broken up into components?
I think one confusing bit for me was that the components of the gravity force, are written out into the same picture together with regular force like Normal force or gravity ...
physics incline plane.jpg
free body diagram box.jpg
physics incline plane.jpg
angles box.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.
With your S and Fnet, you have resolved mg into its components in the coordinate system consisting of an axis parallel to the slope and an axis normal to the slope. The component normal to the slope must be equal and opposite to the normal force sincethere is no acceleration in that direction.
Based on that, what do you think the magnitude of S should be?

Likes late347
haruspex said:
Your answer is correct.
With your S and Fnet, you have resolved mg into its components in the coordinate system consisting of an axis parallel to the slope and an axis normal to the slope. The component normal to the slope must be equal and opposite to the normal force sincethere is no acceleration in that direction.
Based on that, what do you think the magnitude of S should be?
I already know standard convention for drawing vectors into free body diagram.

What is the convention (notation) for drawing components of a force (like components of gravity in this problem)

To my mind. For S length it is such that the S is equal size and opposite direction to the Normal Force. They cancel out.
This is required to fulfill the idea that the box does NOT accelerate perpendicular to the ramp's surface. I could be wrong though. But this assumption is supported by the model of the sliding action across the ramp's surface.

Are you allowed to add component normal (whatever that is?) Into the normal force vector, therefore calculating the sum of forces in that particular axis (perpendicular to the ramp's surface?)Does S equal a force and what is the name of that force strictly speaking?
(I know that G in the picture means essentially "earth pulls the box")

late347 said:
To my mind. For S length it is such that the S is equal size and opposite direction to the Normal Force. They cancel out.
This is required to fulfill the idea that the box does NOT accelerate perpendicular to the ramp's surface
That's what I wrote, isn't it?

late347 said:
Are you allowed to add component normal
If by that you mean the normal component of the gravitational force, yes.

late347 said:
Does S equal a force and what is the name of that force
the normal component of the gravitational force

Likes late347
haruspex said:
That's what I wrote, isn't it?
I thought that was what you asked.

Well... anyway.

I don't immediately see how you are supposed to calculate the normal force values because we lack the mass values and the force values.

More about summing the normal component of gravity into the normal force.

I thought essentially that you simply have components only in the y-axis and x-axis. Especially in twodimensional image like this.
And with those components you can represent vectors in component form representation.

I can ask my teacher more about the normal component of gravity tomorrow...
That explanation I didnt quite understand how that could be the case.

late347 said:
I don't immediately see how you are supposed to calculate the normal force values because we lack the mass values and the force values.
Sure, but in terms of mass m and angle of the plane to the horizontal, what is the component of the gravitational force normal to the plane?
late347 said:
I thought essentially that you simply have components only in the y-axis and x-axis. Especially in twodimensional image like this
Yes, but you can define x and y to be in any pair of orthogonal directions you like.

Sorry if I'm not answering your questions. I am having difficulty understanding what it is that bothers you.

late347 said:
What is the convention (notation) for drawing components of a force (like components of gravity in this problem)
My suggestion is to depict the components of a force as a dashed (or different color) line than the resultant force to emphasize that you may have either the components or the resultant, but not both.

haruspex said:
Sure, but in terms of mass m and angle of the plane to the horizontal, what is the component of the gravitational force normal to the plane?

Yes, but you can define x and y to be in any pair of orthogonal directions you like.

Sorry if I'm not answering your questions. I am having difficulty understanding what it is that bothers you.
I had trouble internalizing the concept that

F=ma

Essentially the new definition according to my teacher was that Fnet is the vector sum of the forces on that object. And yes... the vectors of the gravity and normal force cause resultant force. The resultant force is the net force which gives the box its acceleration (I think)

I forgot about that definition abd I was wonderring what purpose was all this vector calculus for. I.e. what was the physicsbased rationale for vector calculus.

But that is essentially what my teacher said today when I asked about the issue.

I did not do much vector calculation in either math or physics in high school and my previous university. And for that matter I did not really study very advanced high school courses in physics.

My earlier physics homework problems didnt have much of the vector calculation stuff.

You have two forces acting on the box: the force of gravity, and the force the ramp imposes on the box. When you add these two forces together (using vector addition) you will get the net force.

Likes late347

Related to Clarification for inclined plane object, force components

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is used to make it easier to move objects from a lower position to a higher position by reducing the amount of force needed.

What are force components?

Force components are the individual forces that act on an object in different directions. These components can be broken down into perpendicular forces, such as the normal force and the gravitational force, which are important in understanding the motion of an object on an inclined plane.

How do you find the normal force on an object on an inclined plane?

The normal force on an object on an inclined plane can be found using trigonometry. It is equal to the component of the weight of the object that is perpendicular to the surface of the inclined plane. This can be calculated using the formula FN = mgsinθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination.

What is the significance of the angle of inclination on the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination is important in determining the amount of force needed to move an object on an inclined plane. The steeper the angle, the greater the force needed to overcome the gravitational force pulling the object down the incline. This angle also affects the direction of the normal force and the resulting motion of the object.

How can you use the components of force to calculate the net force on an object on an inclined plane?

The net force on an object on an inclined plane can be calculated by finding the components of the forces acting on the object in the direction of motion and perpendicular to the surface of the inclined plane. The net force is then the sum of these components, which can be found using trigonometry and vector addition.